1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I Need Help to I.D my fish as either a Ropefish or a Bichir

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Nameless, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I was looking at pictures of ropefish and then I stumbled across a couple pictures that resembled my fish even closer than the pictures that resembled the ropefish. Since I got my fish I wasn't sure what it was so I asked around and I was told that I had a ropefish so I accepted that, but now I am wondering if the reason why a lot of advise given to me is not of much help because for this whole time my ropefish really is not a ropefish but is a bichir.
    I found a website with a picture that looks like my fish. Its a sengal bichir. I know of a picture that looks exactly like my fish but I can't find it, but I will look for it. If I find anymore links then I will let you know.

Thanks for your posts.

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/poly-sen.htm[/url]

2. Nameless

Nameless New Member

3. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I still haven't found anymore pics online, any help anyone?

4. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

I couldn't follow the first link you posted, but the second link does resemble my ropefish, although my fish is more of a browny/orangy colour like this http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/gall ... ricus.html

To be honest I don't know much about bichirs but they do seem to be more grey than a ropefish.

Hope this helps :D

5. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

I've just had a quick look around on the web and the bichirs I have seen have well developed frontal fins (almost like the beginnings of feet!)
    I guess both ropefish and bichirs have very similar origins,
    (I believe the ropefish date back some 60 million years!.) but my ropefish has strong fins in the right places for feet, but it doesn't use them as such.

6. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I c, have you ever seen any other ropefish at your lfs? Are they more orangy like yours or more gray like mine.

7. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

they are more orange

8. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

All the ropefish I have seen in LFS have been very orange.
    I'll try and get a pick to post soon

9. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Really? I have you ever seen any fish like the one in my second link at any of your lfs?
    Thanks again for your posts!

10. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

11. Nameless

Nameless New Member

k, so what would you suggest me to do?