1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I need help very badly someone help me.

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Mice, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Mice

Mice New Member

I have bean researching a lot to find out if my fish is a male or a female someone give me some hints on how to determain if they are a male or female. Answer ASAP

2. sakura.seppun

sakura.seppun New Member

Well, what are they?

3. Mice

Mice New Member

Well i only have one for right now and i have a 10 gallon tank. i Have another question too. How many fish can i fit in here and how do i determain how to find out their gender. I have one oranda it is about 1.5" in lenghth.

4. sakura.seppun

sakura.seppun New Member

a basic rule is one inch of fish to one gallon of water.

If this is your first time with an aquarium, you really should look into a 20, or even a 15, gallon. 10 gallons are very difficult to keep stable.

As for the sex, I don't really know how to sex an Oranda.

5. Mice

Mice New Member

Well i had a 3 gallon tank for a while then i got a 10 gallon tank because my fish was getting much bigger. Why do u think that 10 gal. are harder to take care of or what ever you said?

6. Mice

Mice New Member

Well i had a 3 gallon tank for a while then i got a 10 gallon tank because my fish was getting much bigger. Why do u think that 10 gal. are harder to take care of or what ever you said?

7. Used

Used New Member

I wouldn't say that a 10 gallon is difficult to keep stable. Stable means that all you parameter readings Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite are at the right levels. You should be thinking real soon about getting a 15-20 gallon tank for your Oranda, But in the meantime make sure you have good filtration and keep up on you water changes. Good luck.

8. Mice

Mice New Member

Hey thanks but noone has answered how to determain male or female. I just bought this 10 gallon tank and i kind of want to keep it because i dont have much money or ride to get another tank. CAN YOUPLEASE help me and give me tips on keeping all that crum out of my fish tank thanks. :p :p :p

9. Used

Used New Member

What do you mean by crum?

10. Mice

Mice New Member

Like before when you mentioned Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite are hard to keep at hte right levels? this is what my tank looks like
    [​IMG]

I KNOW MY FILTER IS SMALL THAT IS JUST TEMPORARY UNTIL SOMEONE DRIVES ME TO THE PETSTORE SOON.

Try to reply as soon as possible because i'm goign to the petstore tomorrow so i need to know what i need.

11. Used

Used New Member

The only way you will be able to know what the level of Ammonia, Nitrates, or Nitrites your tank has is by using a test kit. I don't know if its my eyes but the tank looks pretty clean except maybe the glass needs a cleaning. Yes you need to get a good power filter and a top for your tank so the goldfish can't jump out.

12. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Goldfish are difficult to breed in an aquarium so it really doesn't matter what sex yours is. They're also difficult to sex, but if you just want to know for curiosity sake, here's how (again, it's difficult to see and may be impossible to tell for sure on such a small fish). The vent (reproductive opening) is between the anal fins and tail. On females there will be a little bump there and on males it will be concave (or from the side, look like there is nothing there).

Reguarding tank size & stocking, 10 gallons isn't even large enough for a single fancy goldfish. They get around 6" not including their tails. Idealy, you should allot at least 15 - 20 gallons per fancy goldfish. Your fish is small right now so the 10 gallon will do for a while, but I highly recommend that you upgrade sometime within the next 6 months - 1 year.

And like Used said, you will need to buy test kits for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte.

-Chelle

13. lil96

lil96 New Member

at one of the pet stores here, if you bring in a smaple they will check it for you at no charge.
    maybe mice wants to know the sex for the sake of naming it?
    I don'tknow why else you would care if it is alone (even if it had a few in there they are hard to breed)

14. OnixRevolution

OnixRevolution New Member

A 10 gallon tank is harder to keep stable because if there is the slightest change in the water levels, it tends to get out of control. I have 2 10 gallons and it takes about 1 1/2 to 2 months for it to become fish stable. I check my water levels every couple of weeks, and do a water change every week or week and a half. With bigger tanks, its harder for the levels to get out of control since there's more water.

15. Mice

Mice New Member

Thanks guys. Today i bought a Aqua-Tech 10-20 gallon power filter. I also bought the hood/top justli ke u said so the fish can't get any ideas of jumping out. The cool thing is now i can grow more plants with my new light that came with it! :mrgreen: :eek: WOO HOOO thanks i'll post another picture of my new looking tank very shortly.

16. Mice

Mice New Member

OH yeah i might get like a 25 gallon tank for christmas or something when the time comes around but i like my tank how it is now. :D

17. sakura.seppun

sakura.seppun New Member

Now that you have a good filter just keep up the water changes and gravel vaccuming and you should be good! :y_the_best:

Good luck with your current tank and with getting a new one.

18. Mice

Mice New Member

Yeah thanks. I was wondering if anyone knew a lot about goldfish. And what other types of fish i can put in with my oranda. My older brother is going off to college and he wants me to take care of his little oranda until he comes back. I also might put my other brothers fish in my 10 gallon will that be good? Ty

19. Mice

Mice New Member

[​IMG]
    MY new and improved fish tank i think that the light really brings out the color in the gravel and in the fish. :D
    Thanks for the tips and stuff. Seems like i was gifted that i found this website/forum. :eek:

20. Used

Used New Member

I wouldn't add any more fish to your ten gallon. That filter is much better than the other filter you had before.