1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I need help with training......

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by NickSter7715, Aug 29, 2006.

1. NickSter7715

NickSter7715 New Member

I have 2 dogs, a black lab(Tipsy) and a carin terrier(cody). Tipsy is 7 and Cody is 1 1/2. We got Cody when he was 5 weeks old, and have started training him right away. I trained him myself things like sit, stay, and come. Then we took him to obedient school when he was about 6 months, so the "tricks" would really stick. So now he sits, lays down, comes, stays, howls, and twirls. He's pretty good at listening. But....only when he wants to. If he's begging for food, or wants something he can't have, he dosent listen to me at all. I tried to train him using My other dog Tipsy as an example (Cody dose everything that Tipsy does) but it just didn't work. I don't grab him, or force him to come, cause I'm sure then he really won't come, he'll probably run away from me. but i don't know.------Then, on top of that--He's a runner. We have to not only close our gate, but we have to board it up too. I'm only concered about him not listening to me because when he runs away, he acts like im not even talking to him. I have to run around town chasing him, and the only time i DO catch him is when he stops to do his "buisness". ugh. I dont know wat to do....One time he ran into the middle of Roberts road (a 4 lane busy street. I don't want him to get hurt!!!!!!

anybody know wat to do????

I really hoped that I'd be able to take him to forest preserves, and not have him on his "tie-out". And just be able to walk around durring family barbeques without worrying about him getting out, and being able to take him to the feild in this big park by my house to play frisby. But to do those things, he has to be able to be an "off-Leash" dog. But the problem is RIGHT NOW....he's not. =[
    Please.....I need some help.

2. Chezza

Chezza New Member

How long was he at obedience for????
    Sounds like he needed "long Term" Training..
    Maybe lend him to a Proffessional trainer for a bit, until he can respond to come when called, becuase one day he may get hit by a car..

3. NickSter7715

NickSter7715 New Member

Well, after I trained him, he listened really well, but didn't know that much. So thats why we took him to obedience school. He went to obedience 1 and 2. Well the thing is even when he does listen, he only listens to me. So if I sent him to a trainer, she/he would have to start from scratch. But...if thats what I have to do to keep him safe (from cars) then, I just might look into that.
    thanks for your advice. I appreciate it.

-Nicole

4. Chezza

Chezza New Member

I hope I didnt sound harsh Nickster, sorry if I did..
    Mmmmm maybe you can take him back to full on training..
    Like enroll him in again, and stay untill he will do as his told..
    I'd hate to think that something might happen to him if he ran off or something..
    Some dogs can be stubborn..
    Hes still young yet, so with training he should turn out lovely. :D

5. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

A Cairn as an off leash dog in a forest... Not a good idea. The first sign of a squirrel or chipmunk and his natural ratting instinct will kick in and he'll definately be gone.

Cairns, as a terrier, are pretty headstrong dogs, they aren't going to do anything if there's nothing in it for them. It really sounds as though he needs a brush up on his obedience skills.

6. NickSter7715

NickSter7715 New Member

No, no, no!!!! You weren't harsh. I'm sorry if I made you think that. =/
    But that is something I could try again.....take him back to the obedience
    school. Maybe the instuctor will help me out too. I posted the same post on the "all breed" post board, and some told me to make an emergency call, like when he runs away. you take a word he's not familiar with, and yell that word out to him, and when he comes, give him all kinds of treats. This will make him really happy. And I'll do it very, very rarely, but often enough so he is familiar with it. everytime I say it, he SHOULD come rushing to me. So, if he is in the middle of the street, I'll call that out, and he'll come. I'm DEFFINATLEY gonna do that. But...your advice is good to. I am going to go back to obedience school with him, cause I want him to "come", whenever I call him. It looks like thats the only thing that i can do with him.
    Thanks for your advice.

-Nicole =]

7. gypsy

gypsy New Member

Hey Nicole,
    you have a young, terrier which equals: smart hunting dog. Quite a handful. So, couple of things: don't even think about off leash right now. Its really premature. Cody will be NOTHING like your lab. Always have some super yummies in your pocket that are associated with 'come' An altoids tin works well, and can be stuck in yer sock, if you gots no pocket. EXCERCISE. a tired dog is a well behaved dog. Think agility, leashed bicycling, that kind of thing. THis will be a dog with boundless energy, and thinking, not a puddle in the driveway. At barbecues, you will need to keep an eye open. Cannot emphasize enough that you have a bouncy dog there. Check out apri.com, and usabreeders.com, and talk to terrier breeders........they can give you tons of advice.