1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I once read that cats can have bad breath if

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Mary_NH, May 18, 2004.

1. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

they have kidney problems...anyone know if this is true?

My foster, Tony, has HORRIBLE breath. It's head-turning bad, eye-watering skin-blistering assault on one's senses whenever he opens his mouth (I dated someone like that once). His teeth were cleaned while he was being neutered and that was only a little over a week ago. He prefers dry food over canned (I have also read that a steady diet of dry food can cause cavities).

And when I had his vet check done one kidney was enlarged, but the vet said that could be due to the anesthesia used during his neuter.

So does anyone know? Anyone here brush their cat's teeth? Anyone brave enough to do that....and if you do what do you use? I looked for one of those over-the-finger rubber tip pet toothbrush things but couldn't fine one (we have a one-horse pet store to go with our one-horse town and they specialize in FISH).

Thanks for any help.

2. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Gosh darn it, Mary. I have to leave now and I love mouth related posts!I'll be back home in about 3-4 hours, so I'll answer your post then. LOL.

3. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I'll check it when I'm at work tomorrow then Chess...thanks :y_the_best:

4. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

hmmmm...dont know a darn thing about cat breath, but that was sure funny about the guy you dated. neow, neow, neeeaaaa, raaaaaaa. that is little maxie talkin. you know he sounds like a little wild cat sometimes. anyway, it's kitty talk for "i dont have bad breath..." =D>

5. nern

nern New Member

I think Chessmind will be able to give you a better explanation but from what I understand bad teeth can actually cause kidney, liver, heart problems because bacteria from the rotting teeth can make its way into the bloodstream affecting various organs or something to that effect. My grandmothers cat has CRF (I think?). Her teeth were so bad the vet thought her kidney problems could have been brought on by her rotting teeth.

6. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

That's right Nern. :D Well the #1 cause of bad breath (halitosis) in cats is from periodontal disease. I won't go into this Mary as you are already quite familiar with periodontal disease. However, something that you may not know is that this bacteria produces hydrogen sulfide which causes the halitosis (smells really aweful).

There are so many other causes of halitosis in cats. I'll just list a few of the major ones:
    1)Something stuck or lodged in the gum/tooth (i.e.food). It will just sit there and start to really stink after days/weeks/months of rotting in there.

2)A broken tooth, where the pulp has been exposed. This will cause an infection in the tooth and also smell bad.

3)Ulcers/tumors in the mouth.

4)Tonsilitis

5) Lip fold pyoderma (when the fold of the lip collects food and bacteria and produces a foul smell).

6)Diabetes (breath will smell like a bad 'sweet smell.'), kidney disease (breath will smell kind of like ammonia), respiratory diseases, autoimmune diseases...and so on.

7) Gastrointestinal problems (breath will smell like stool).

Anyway, there are just so many causes of bad breath in cats. I would take the kitty to the vet and see if they can determine the cause of his halitosis. I know you just took him to get his teeth cleaned, but he still has halitosis. Poor kitty.

As for brushing cats teeth, I do brush Handsome's teeth daily. He doesn't care for it too much, but I only do it for about 30 seconds to 1 minute each time. I use a small kids toothbrush with no special cat toothpaste. Maybe he would enjoy it more if I bought the toothpaste. I don't know. I just don't want him swallowing the paste on a daily basis.

7. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

thank you chessmind...very helpful and thorough information.