1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I think I want fancy goldfish!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by ACO, Dec 11, 2005.

1. ACO

ACO New Member

:eek:

Very excited to be looking into starting my first fish tank! I had a 20gal tank as a kid with regular gold fish but nothing since then. I've found a few sites online to help with set up but am looking for any specific advice. The tank I got is used and I'm guessing it's between 45 and 55gal. I went to my local fish specialty store this week and to my surprise fell for the fancy gold fish. I've read that they are not too hard to care for but am looking just to find out from some other tank keepers. Things like cleaning frequency and general durability of the fish. Any tips would be great.

Thanks.

2. dbltrubl98

dbltrubl98 New Member

my girlfriend went with me to the fish store and fell in love with them to so I'll ask a question while I am here, how big of tank should I have to keep one and can you keep one or do you need other fish? I don't know how social these things are.

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I've decided that the next large tank I set up is going to have goldies in it too. :D They're just so cute & full of personality.

A lot of people will say 10 gallon/goldfish. Personally, I think that's absolute rubbish. Fancy goldfish can easily reach 6" not including their tail (I've seen several that were pushing an good 8"). There's no way I'd only allot only 10 gallons each. So my own personal preference is around 20 gallons each (you might be able to squeeze by with 15).

ACO - if you give me the dimensions of your tank (preferrably in inches), I can figure out how many gallons it is.

dbltrubl98 - They can be kept singly, but after I got my pond and started keeping several, I noticed that they really do prefer the company of other goldfish. Mine hardly ever go off by themselves.

-Chelle

4. goldfish_lover

goldfish_lover New Member

20 gallons a goldfish??? the guy at hte pet store said 1 gallon a goldfish...

...great... :|