1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

i think i was wrong about pepe 'nice' behaviour

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by kyles101, May 4, 2005.

1. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

heres me thinking he was being all sweet and he loves us now. unfortunately thats not to be. i now think he just hops on the bed to be dominant. he got really agressive with me last night. it wasnt play aggressiveness either. anyway, he was on the bed snuggling and i went to pat him. he tried to attack my hands. i gave him a light tap on the nose to startle him and he outright attacked my hands this time. he did it the way a cat would fight another cat. he didnt hurt me but he looked so nasty :cry: when he calmed down i tried to pat him again and he did the same thing. my partner was so horrified at his behaviour that he grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and pushed him off the bed! mean i know, but it was the first time he had seen him act like that. i told him he once did it when i tried to groom him but he didnt really believe me then. later on he hopped on the bed again. i picked him up and put him on the ground, but not without a struggle. he latched onto the quilt as if it was HIS bed.

i always treated pepe behaviour as play aggression. but ive been reading up on cat dominance this morning and it describes everything pepe does down to a t! bossy, demanding, aggressive when restrained, aggressive when moved off the bed, aggressive when he doesnt want hands near him, always jumping on pheobes back and biting, noisy when he doesnt get his own way, noisy and snatchy when its dinner time, taking things of mine, rubs himself on things cats wont normally touch, feels free to attack the dog, not responding to discipline... and what can i do about it acording to most sites ive visited? nothing. apprently trying to take his dominance away will make him fight for it even more. perhaps i should treat him more like a dog. :lol:

but heres one question i have, WHY??? why did he turn out like this? why does he not only to it to pheobe but me as well? why out of all of the breeders cats is pepe the only one like this? is it because he was placed with a very submissive small cat who cant put him in his place? did i accidently 'put him in charge' when we got him? had he already established his place at the breeders house? why does he have to disrespect me so much? i dont want to hate him... :cry: :cry:

2. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi Kyles, just a quick post as I have to get ready for work. If a cat wants to hurt you, he/she can.

3. vene

vene New Member

I think Pepe wants to be with mommy but wants his own private space. Sometimes Pumpkin will roll on the floor and purr when she sees me but when I try to pet her she'll attack my hands and try to bite me. :roll: Go figure. She has never drawn blood though. I guess they are good at letting us know when they want to be petted.

4. Bente

Bente New Member

I'm so sorry to hear Pepe's behaviour problems are back :( I guess some cats are just more agressive and dominant then others, I've never experienced it myself, so I don't know the solution... Have you tried separating him from Phoebe? I have no idea if she is the reason hes acting the way he is, but it's worth a try. Maybe hes a loner?

I've heard of other cats who will suddenly strike without no warning at all, so at least hes not the only one.

I don't think that's a mean thing to do, maybe Pepe needs to be put in place in a thougher way then you are used to? A cat has small chanses of getting hurt just by falling of a bed, so that's probably what I would do too.

5. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

this morning i got my partner to lock pepe out of the bedroom when he left for work. within 10 minutes, he was meowing loudly and pounding on the door! he stopped about 2 hours later :roll: what gets me is he doesnt really want anything to do with us in the mornings. he doesnt want to 'snuggle' at that time so why on earth is he pounding on the door and carrying on like a baby? is he doing it to test me? at least he didnt get his own way with the door shut. usually he will go into the bedroom and squawk in our faces.

im doing meal time differently too. im not giving him his food unless he sits down quietly. last night he was making a fuss and trying to grab the food out of my hands when i was putting it down. i stopped and squirted him :lol: he ran away, came back and was as good as gold and even sat for me.

6. nern

nern New Member

Physical punishment does not work well on cats. If anything, this will likely only increase his aggressiveness and cause him to become even more defensive towards you and your partner.

I'm not sure if you have come across these articles arleady but if you have'nt I think you might find them useful:

http://www.ivis.org/advances/Behavior_H ... m.asp?LA=1
    http://www.ivis.org/advances/Behavior_H ... m.asp?LA=1