1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I think my cockatiel is sick, please help!!

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by ilovemycockatiels, Jan 22, 2005.

1. ilovemycockatiels

ilovemycockatiels New Member

My cockatiel was sneezing the other night and I know it isn't normal if it's alot. He sneezed like twice then like 5 mins later another 3-4 times. Yesterday I looked at him and he had green stuff on his beak. I'm not sure if it's there from sneezing or if it might be because he feeds the female. She laid an egg night before last.

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

When a bird starts to sneeze alot its advised to take them to see an avian vet for a check up as it could be an infection of the respitory or infection of the crop both can be fatal if not treated..

Keep the room he is in warm at all times and the temp the same..

Mike

3. ilovemycockatiels

So, do you think I need to take him to a vet or should I wait to see if he gets better in the next few days?

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

THis is upto you i would take him in just to be on the safe side as if it is an infection the female may catch it which she will then pass on to her chicks..
    But i would say yes take him in ..

Mike

5. ilovemycockatiels

I don't know if we have an avian vet around here, but I know we're taking my cat to a vet today or tomorrow, could I take him to a regular vet? Would they know anything? Is there any medicine I can buy at a pet store to give him to save the cost of an office visit?

6. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Without knowing what is causing his sneezing there is noway of knwoing what is best for him as you could buy something over the counter and it could do more harm than good.

Some normal vets have experience with birds but would be best to call them and ask first saves the time of taking him to find out they do not know anything about birds.

I do not trust over the counter medications i prefer the vet to diagnose the problem and treat accordingly..

Mike

7. ilovemycockatiels

I had to go earlier, had an vet appt. for the cat so I just got your reply about the vet and over-the-counter medications. I went to the petstore and they gave me Ornacyn- Plus it says it's for treatment of respiratory diseases of pet birds, corrects diarrhea & vitamin deficiencies. It has a broad - spectrum antibiotic called erythromycin with essential vitamins and amino acids. Do you think it's safe? I used to breed rats (some got repiratory infections) and they gave me the same stuff even though it was for birds and it helped them within a day, I dunno if that means its okay for my bird though. Do you think it's okay for him?

8. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Again i do not trust over the counter medications if its for birds i am sure its safe but only you can make the decision wether to give it to him or not.

erythromycin is a good antibiotic as it is used in humans.
    All you can do is try and see how he gets on but you will have to make sure the female does not get it while she is laying eggs as the chemicals will be passed through to the egg while its developing in her oviduct.

Mike