1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I"VE GOT AN EMERGANCY!!!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Samsintentions, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Ok. Out here on my lot, (work) I've got 3 nests of Killdee birds. They lay their nests on the ground. Two of the nests have 4 eggs, and the other has 3 so 11 eggs total.

Here's the problem. THe company has just ordered a lawn guy to spray the entire lot for weeds!!!! ITs going to kill the babies!!! They haven't hatched yet, but will soon! We've been watching them since we found them when momma laid them.

What do I do!!!??!!!

I'm wondering if I can take them and incubate them??? Does anyone know the temp they have to be kept at? How long?? I know it takes 21 days to hatch. THey are due to hatch in about 10 days. I've got until Monday to do something about it!!

Please help!!!!

2. Rene

Rene New Member

Oh Sam more pets I love that you do that i have no idea mike is pretty good with birds and all animals

Good luck

3. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I would call the local wildlife rescue and see if htey can help out

honeybear

4. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Killdeer birds can be very very mean when you mess with their babies! My brother found that at when he was 7 or 8 he tried to move some eggs and the momma and the daddy bird attacked him. It was actually quite funny he ran all over the yard with those birds swooping down pecking him on the head and neck!
    And the momma and daddy bird actually remain as a pair to help protect their babies the momma or daddy bird will pretend to have a broken wing to attract your attention away from their babies.
    I would call a nature preserve they could definetely help you.

5. GinaH

GinaH New Member

6. puggleowner

puggleowner New Member

We actually just had a killdeer nest in our yard not too long ago- and I was thinking how lucky that mama was that she chose our yard, because we were seeding at that time so we weren't mowing the lawn yet, otherwise we probably would have mowed right over it without even noticing because they can hid their nests pretty well. I know it sounds crazy, but is there anyway that the company could wait on the spraying? From what i know about killdeer, once the eggs hatch it is only two-three weeks before the birds leave the nest. I understand that that may sound just plain looney trying to explain that to a landscaper with a deadline, so I would think the next best option would be to contact wildlife control.

7. Samsintentions

I think thats what I'll do! Thanks yall. I was thinking if I took them and put them in my grandmothers chicken nests, perhaps they would hatch them. But I'm not sure if that would work or not. I'll call our game warden and see what he has to say.

8. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

something similar happened at my son's school last year. The principal was going to remove a kildeer nest and the students rallyed 'round and wouln't let him. They put up a sign telling the kids to stay away from that area so the parents could raise the babies without being disturbed and the kids could watch without being pecked.

I would raise a stink

9. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

I would call the Wildlife Conservation office. Maybe if your employer feared a fine if he moved or put the babies in danger, he would hold off on the sraying (unrealistic I know) but, maybe the conservation officer can move the babies correctly. holy cow! Now your onto bird rescue!

10. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

Sam,
    The number to the Houston Audubon Society is 713-932-1392. Maybe they can help also.

11. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

:eek: Ohhhh! Clever one Dukesdad!

12. Samsintentions

HEy great one!

The warden here told me they don't move birds nests. I raised all kinds of stink with him. THey are a protected speicies!!!! My employer here has agreed that he'll tell them to leave a 2' diameter around each nest. There are 3. I plan on walking out there and staning right over the nests!!!!

My only concern is that the spray is strong. Do you think a 2 ft diameter is enough??? What about momma and daddy?

13. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Ck out what kind they use then go online and see what the manufacturer says about the distance and harmfullness, etc. then ask the lawn company and see what responses you get. Do Duke's suggestion for sure!