1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

i want to know how to breed bettas

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by nick_no_11, Aug 1, 2005.

1. nick_no_11

nick_no_11 New Member

i want to breed bettas but all i know is that you need a male and female please help by telling my eveything i need to know.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

The very first thing you need is a plan for the hundreds (no that's not an exaggeration) of babies you will get. After a few months, they will start fighting and you won't be able to keep them together in a tank. You'll have to separate them all into individual jars (hundreds of them) and do 100% water changes on all the jars at least every 2 days. Then you have to be able to find places to take all those hundreds of babies (don't just assume your LFS will be happy to take them all off your hands).

If you're still willing to take that responsibility and give up that much time & effort, here's a really good article (scroll down to the bottom to see the "wall of wiggles" ) :
    http://flippersandfins.net/BettaBreedingArticle.htm

-Chelle

3. nick_no_11

nick_no_11 New Member

can i feed them to pirhana?

could i feed them to my pirhana?

4. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Yea, i guess, but if ur breeding to feed ur pirahna i suggest guppys cuz they breed SO eazy, you will get babies much easier and faster with guppies. I was thinking breed guppys myself to maybe feed my convict or when i get my salvini

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I suppose, but it really wouldn't be worth it in the long run considering all the time, care, & space they would require.

There's much more economical treats for fish like piranhas such as crickets, earthworms, frozen shrimp, meal worms, etc. There's really no need to use feeder fish.

-Chelle

6. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

I'm sure you have already been given the horror stories about buying feeders for your Piranha so I won't even go there. To take and raise your own feeders, think about how long it will take for them to get large enough to feed to your Piranha. Basically you would need about as many tanks as your local pet shop just to raise the feeders to feeding size. Also, you will have to spend the money to feed them until they are large enough to feed to your Piranha. You'll end up spending at least ten times the amount of money raising feeders than if you just bought some cocktail shrimp or Tilapia filets at the grocery store for food.

7. Trickster

Trickster New Member

You could always buy freeze dried foods or frozen foods. They enjoy those. they are a good sourc of protien. But if you realy wana see him hunt something down you could buy some feeder goldfish, then quarintine them for a month to make sure they dont got any disease (I recommend a 10g), if you got the time and money go for it, otherwise cocktail shrimp is the path to take.

8. nick_no_11

nick_no_11 New Member

i have tryed feeding him shrimp he wont eat anything dead i put in there. then if i put a minno in there he eats it . i think its just the personality of my pirahana