1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I was referred to ya'll by another forum- Need cat help! Plz

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by ansy1, Sep 21, 2004.

1. ansy1

ansy1 New Member

This is my first post here and I would sincerely appreciate any comments on this.

Napster is an 18 month old mix. She is my best friend. She only weighs about 7 pounds (I've been told she is small) and on July 5th she had a litter of 8 kittens. We found homes for 6 and kept 2. Spaying has been arranged so this doesn't happen again. She is an indoor cat that sometimes goes out - normally very lively and playful. Just over a week ago I found an abandoned kitten at a church and brought it home. The kittem appears healthy but I have not had her checked yet. Napster hasn't been the same since. She is lethargic (by her means) and will not eat. She has lost a considerable amount of weight. She became very thin from feeding 8 kittens, but has since put the weight back on prior to this "whatever it is thats bothering her".

She sleeps almost all the time and moves around very slowly - like a 20 year old cat, if you would. I haven't a clue what could be wrong. I don't think she has caught anything from this new kitten as the new kitten and the other 2 seem perfectly healthy still.

I'm honestly quite nervous about going to the vet because I don't want to hear anything bad.

On another note - Napster always has eaten canned food - she was picky and liked the sliced cat food in gravy. Due to its smell and the additional cats, I recently changed to dry cat food - Purina. The first few days she ate it well and then it slacked off and I haven't seen her eat in several days now. We offered her moist cat treats last night and she wouldn't eat them. Today I offered her a fresh pouch of tuna and a bowl of milk. She took about 2 bites of tuna and didn't touch the milk. She has curled up and slept the better part of the day.

Could this be a food issue or a depression issue do to the new kitten? Have any of you had this happen before? I don't think it's grieving over the 6 kittens we gave away because they have been gone a few weeks now.

The last cat I had - I had her for 19 years. She was an all outdoor cat and never once had to go to the vet. My mother told me that outdoor pets were always healthier as their bodies would tell them what grasses to eat and such and indoor pets do not have access to this. Do you think there is any truth to this?

I'm just in a panic because I don't want to lose my cat and athough I am taking her to the vet, I was just wondering if anyone had ever had this happen and what it could be?

I honestly do not have hundreds of dollars to spend at a vet right now. I am a full time student and realistically I just can't afford alot. I am going to take her on Wednesday, but am not sure if I will be able to afford the treatment. ANY advice you can give me to help her would be so very much appreciated. I'm sure as cat people, you know what Napster means to me.

Thanks,
    Ansy

2. Mark McMahon

Mark McMahon New Member

Well I'm surely no expert but some of the other members of this forum sure know what they're talking about. You are doing the right thing by taking it to the vet, even if you hear bad news. Maybe she has a hairball in her stomach that won't let her digest so she just doesn't eat? It happened to my bunny. From cleaning all the little kitties and herself ya know? If so, you can give them different type of juices that will help break it down.

I'm sorry, I know what it's like to have an animal that won't eat and the panic involved. Best of luck to you and Napster, I'll say a prayer tonight.

3. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi and welcome to Auspet. :D I'm sorry your kitty is not feeling well. How old were the kittens when they were taken away from her? Unfortunately, all the symptoms you described can be caused by so many things and only a vet will be able to help diagnose her condition. A vet exam will cost around $35-$45 (U.S. dollars) and he/she may want to do a blood analysis. This can range in price from $45-$75 (U.S. dollars). Please make sure to bring in a fresh stool sample to the vet visit. The fresher the better, but up to 12 hours old is okay (just put it in a zip lock bag). The vet will use this stool sample to rule out various parisites/worms in her body. When you go to the vets make sure you ask how much each test/exam will cost. That way you know exactly how much money you will be spending. Hopefully you have a nice vet and they can arrange a payment plan with you, where you can pay a small amount once a month if the fees do start to add up. Let us know how your kitty is doing and what the vet said.

p.s. please don't give your kitty any milk. It's not good for cats at all. It does more harm than good. I would also try and give her the food she liked in the first place, being as she does need to eat something. I hope she feels better soon and that it's nothing serious.

4. nern

nern New Member

I can't imagine her being that depressed over the arrival of the new kitten although, I guess it is a possibility. Did she seem distressed when you introduced her to the kitten? I'm glad that you are taking her to the vet...I hope everything is okay with her. Please keep us posted.

I disagree with this but I guess it also depends on where you live. There are lots of plants and other things that cats eat outside that are toxic to them...I don't think that cats are really able to decifer between toxic and safe.

5. ansy1

ansy1 New Member

She didn't seem this way as soon as the kitten came home. It was about 2 days later when I noticed this.

I have read that sometimes are given Amytryptiline ( I know I didn't spell that right). That is a human anti-depressant and I just assumed that cats got depressed too.

Taking a stool sample is an excellent idea - if I had one. Since she isn't eating she isn't going to the litter box, plus there are 3 other cats that use the same box. I will keep an eye on her and see if I can get one by Wednesday.

As far as the milk - I HAD NO IDEA that it was bad for them. See, thats why I'm glad I came here. I'm not that knowledgable about cats and always love hearing advice from others who are.

Thank all of you for your replies. Sometimes, even if no answer can be given, it's just nice to talk about it with others who understand.

Ansy

6. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I know you said money was tight - but it would be a wise thing to take the new kitten in too and have some bloodwork done. This kitten might have brought something into the house that is contagious.

See if you can set up a payment schedule with your vet but it would be wise to have everyone checked especially since you don't know the background from the kitten your brought home. Napster's system was probably compromised by having the kittens and nursing and she may have contacted something easier than her less compromised kittens.

It's worth knowing. I wouldn't suggest any antidepressants as I think (and it's only my opinion) that Napster isn't depressed.

I wouldn't wait too long before seeing the vet.

As a rule outdoor kitties aren't healthier than inside kitties. They usually get worms from eating creatures, injuries...well you know the rest. Your mother got lucky with your previous cat. I grew up with an outside cat too that lived to be 16 years old and she was outside most of the time - she died from feline leuk before the vaccine was availab.e

7. ansy1

ansy1 New Member

This morning she got up and went and ate a few pieces of DRY DOG FOOD????? She has never touched that stuff.

I haven't seen her drink anything in the last few days either and she keeps licking her lips. I'm worried she is dehydrated now.

I was planning on taking her to the vet in the morning once I had the money, but I think I'll go ahead and take her today. They'll probably keep her overnight anyway. I don't know how long these things (testing and all) takes.

You know....it just makes me feel guilty that I havent put any money back for things like this. It's like you are letting you pet down and can't get them proper care when they need it. The vet opens in a little over a half hour. I'm gonna call and see if they do the payment plan thing. I didn't even know vets done that kind of thing.

8. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

while you have a moment check her gums...see what color they are - they should be a nice pink and also to check for hydration pull up the skin between her shoulder blades and if it springs back easily she's okay, if not she's dehyrdated.

I'm glad you decided to get her to the vets now - she really needs to be seen and you'll feel better knowing she's getting the medical care she needs so you can stop worrying

9. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

Good luck - I hope everything is going okay with your cat. It was a good idea to go to the vet. It's best to catch things before they become worse. It sounds like your cat needs a visit.

I have done a payment plan with my vet once (to remove a foreign object from my cat's stomach). My vet was very understanding and kind and let us work out the money over time.

I also agree that it would be a good idea to take the kitten to the vet.

If money is an issue, do you have something like a lost cost vet nearby (like the humane society?) I used to go to my local human society and they were very cost effective. My cats would leave with all their shots and some tests for under $30.00 per cat (if I remember right).

Good luck!

10. vene

vene New Member

:m23: and welcome! Hope all goes well with the vet visit and payment plans. I love the name Napster! :eek: I must have downloaded hundreds of songs from that site until it was shut down. Now they have that $9.99 deal where you can choose unlimited songs from a 750,000 song list. Wow! Sorry for digressing.

11. ansy1

ansy1 New Member

Update!

Napster is now at the vet. Thanks to the person who posted the link about the free/low cost spay & neutering, I was able to find a low cost clinic right in my area! The $140 I had put back to have her spayed can now be used for her treatment. I am so thankful for that link and for all your kind words and responses.

The vet took her temp and it was 105.6. He drew blood to test for Feline Leukemia & AIDS but didn't have any tests to see if the blood was positive. They are keeping her overnight, starting an antibiotic and will call me in the morning with the test results.

Please pray that the test comes back negative. He recommended that I 'put her down' if the test is positive so that she doesn't suffer anymore. I can't imagine life without my cat. Even though I have only had her 18 months, she has been through SO much with me - never leaving my side. She talks to me (I can meow to her and she will meow back) and every time my son cries she is first on the scene - like she is checking everything out - that he's ok. I swear this cat understands me and knows how I think.

I have cried all day worrying about these tests, and whats even worse is that the vet informed me that I could have had her vaccinated against it. I feel so stupid and guilty for not educating myself better. My irresponsibility could cost my cat her life. That is a very hurtful thing to realize.

I never thought I would cry over an animal, but I find myself acting like I'm about to lose a child. Yes, I love my cat, but had no idea just how strong the bond was until put in this situation. You take for granted that your pet will be there with you every day and never prepare yourself for life without them.

I will know something in the morning and I will give another update. Please keep Napster in your thoughts. I know that none of you 'know' her, but as cat people........well.......you understand.

Thanks,

Ansy

12. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

wow... u have all my prayers here...

we understand your pain- but it was very good of u to take her to the vet. *warm hugZ* hope all is well.

13. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

your vet has given you good advice though - and his words are what I feared hearing. Be sure you get the other cats in your home checked also.....but I'm hoping with all my heart the results are negative.

I'll be thinking of Napster till you can let us know.....

14. Mark McMahon

Mark McMahon New Member

Don't you talk that way. There are many people that don't know about all the vaccinations out there. You are not to blame for anything. If you've given Napster a wonderful home and much care that is about all you can do. Even if the worse was to happen, Napster would've had a good life. But lets stay on the bright side of things. You need to think positive in situations like this, no matter how hard that may be. I said a prayer last night and I'll do so again tonight. Napster will be back to normal in no time! Think positive!

15. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Hi Ansy, I told you you would get good info over here. I've actually posted here once or twice about my neighobrs kitty's. I hope everything goes well for your little napster. I don't own a cat but I surely was being tempted this afternoon by a turquoise eyed yellowish kitten. It was a doll.

16. nern

nern New Member

I'm sorry that you are so worried...I will keep Napster in my thoughts. Hopefully, she will be just fine.

17. vene

vene New Member

Sending prayers and get well wishes your way! [-o<

18. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

I'm glad you got her to the vet sooner and also that you were able to locate a low cost vet. It's so hard to have to wait for test results. I've always had my cats tested and I've always had to wait till the next day to get the results too. Each time I never did sleep a whole lot on those nights. I was always so worried that the tests may come back positive (although they never did). So, I know how you're feeling right now. I sure hope she tests negative and whatever she has is not life threatening. Please keep us posted. I sure hope you have some good news for us tomorrow.

19. ansy1

ansy1 New Member

The vet called today and BOTH TESTS CAME BACK NEGATIVE!!!!!!!

I was so relieved and happy. He said that she is showing no specific symptoms of anything so they think is some sort of bacterial infection. She is responding well to the antibiotics and her temp has come down to 103. I get to bring her home this afternoon.

I want to thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. You have no idea how much just talking about this has helped me. Although she isn't 'out of the woods' yet, she is well enough that they are letting her come home and I couldn't ask for anything more at this point.

Ansy

20. vene

vene New Member

Hooray! So glad she is getting better and tested negative! :eek: :eek: :eek: Will you be able to take her temperature and did the vet recommend children's pedialyte or anything like that to help her stay hydrated?