1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I was worried about a neighbor's dog months ago...

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by lucidity03, Jan 8, 2005.

1. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

I posted in here several months about about a neighbor's dog that I was very concerned about. She is an outside dog and has a muddy yard with no shelter. She was filthy.

Anyhow, I called a local Humane Society months ago. I heard no word. I saw no improvement. All I saw was a misreable dog stuck chained up (in a fenced in yard - why chained up?)

Anyhow, I got fed up and called a different orginization. I told them I called the Humane Society first. They told me they'd check with the Humane Society and if nothing happened, they'd investigate.

I just talked to them again yesterday. The Humane Society never looked into it. BUT, Animal Friends (the other org) did. I talked to the investigator herself yesterday.

She told me I made a good call and it's now an open case. They educated the family about the dog and they're going to drop off straw next week to help the dog survive the winter. They're also going to spead straw over the mud and clean up the yard.

The dog is husky-like and built for cold weather. But, the family promised to bring her in during frigid temps.

I told the officer I was more concerned about the summer (when I originally tried to get this looked at). The woman told me that they instructed the family to shave the dog in the summer and put her downstairs during hot weather to help the dog.

The investigator thanked me for calling and said she knew someone who lived close by. They're keeping an eye on the dog.

I just wanted to share this with everyone. I was so concerned about the dog and she had no voice. Well, I gave her a voice and I got her help. I am thankful that Animal Friends took me seriously and is keeping the case open.

That's one more dog out there that will hopefully get better treatment. (I still don't personally agree with her living situation being stuck outside... but that's just an opinion, not the law.)

2. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Good work!

One question - if it's a husky, can huskies be shaved? Sometimes it's not advisable to shave a dog during summer. It exposes skin that usually never sees the light of day and can burn easily. And some types of dogs have coats that never grow back correctly because they were not meant to be shaved. Better find out before summer....

3. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

Humm, I don't know exactly what the dog it. I do know that the dog is part wolf. But, I don't know the other breeds in the dog. But, when you look at her, you would probabaly think husky (or some snow dog to that nature)

About the shaving, since I don't know much about dogs, I would never have thought of that.

It sounds like I'll be in contact with the Animal Friends people. So, next time I talk to them, I will bring up that concern.

Thanks for pointing it out.

4. honeybears

honeybears New Member

thanks for the update I ams os glad you pursued it and that org is helping.

Huskey should never be shaved, even though people think they get hot furing the summer, all of that fur helps keep the dog cool during teh summer and warm in the winter. sounds kind of like an oximoron, but the fur during the summer acts as an outer insulator to heat and if you shave the dog they are more prone to heat stroke

honeybear

5. Smokey04

Smokey04 New Member

That's awesome that you helped that dog out.

I was kind of surprised that they suggested to shave the dog also. I have always heard not to shave as well, since the thick fur is a block from the sun getting to their skin. I know everyone has dif. opinions on this though, it just surprised me they suggested it.

6. nern

nern New Member

Good work! :y_the_best:
    I still can't understand why people who treat dogs this way even have dogs. :? I assume the dog is chained because he probably escapes the fence. My neighbor has to chain his dog when he lets him in the fenced yard otherwise the dog escapes every time. This dog is not kept outside 24/7 though.

7. Chaliki

Chaliki New Member

Hi. Ran into this site looking for a solution for muddy yards and dogs. Saw this thread about the chained dog and had to throw in my 2 cents. We had a malamute/shepard mix inside/outside dog (her choice -- she died from cancer a year and a half ago at age 10). She had a terrible time with hot spots and heat in the summer even staying inside but loved icy cold weather. We shaved her in the summer and she did just fine -- she loved it. She also stayed outside in 20 degree or colder weather and couldn't figure out why we would not join her. I since adopted a husky/shepard young female rescue dog and a border collie/boxer mix from the pound (hence the muddy yard). Sasha (husky mix) has totally different hair than Amy (first one) and we do NOT shave her in the summer. The heat doesn't seem to bother her as much and again, the colder the better. Huskies are notorious escape artists and we contain Sasha with an electric fence (it isn't on most of the time but she doesn't know that). We tried to make Sasha a house dog and she will NOT stay in the house even though Boomer (other guy) prefers that. Sasha comes in to eat and visit then runs right back outside. She sleeps on the snow (has a very nice, sheltered house), hangs out in the rain (water runs off her coat) and plays with Boomer (other dog) during the day. I went through a terrible time feeling bad about her being outside most of the time because I felt she was isolated but she is not happy confined. She is potty trained but we could not use a crate -- she was hysterical for three weeks with that. She apparently has containment phobia. It looks like we are isolating her outside but we aren't. She just won't come in or stay in long if I can coax her inside. Boomer stays inside during cold or bad weather. She seems to understand he can't tolerate it but in good weather she throws a fit for him to be with her and out he goes, gladly.
    I would not chain my dog, there are other solutions, but sometimes you cannot know the whole situation looking from the outside. (BTW Sasha looks like a red timber wolf) I don't usually do this. Hope I don't offend anybody
    :)