1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Ick?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by swtnpink, Jul 12, 2004.

1. swtnpink

swtnpink New Member

my goldfish has little white dots on it's back tail fin.... what could this be? i'm thinking ick... but i'm just not sure! it doesnt look like fungus... but maybe it hasn't grown? it's had the little dots for about 3 days now and it's been spreading... the little dots dont get bigger... but there's just more of em!! help please!

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Sounds like ich to me.

Does it look like this?
    [​IMG]

As long as you don't have any scaleless fish like plecos, you can treat it by raising the temperature to about 84* (a bit warm for goldfish, but if you have an air stone he should be fine) and add 1tbsp of aquarium salt / 5 gallons.

-Chelle

3. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

4. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

that cure never worked for me, my fish became distressed, so now i use quick cure, since i have scaless fish i just do 1/2 the recomended amount.

5. swtnpink

swtnpink New Member

i put aquarium salt into the tank and i used some of the rid-ick stuff from kordon. it tells me to put 1 tsp for every 10 gallons i have every 24 hours... isn't that a bit much or am i reading it wrong? i did a 25% water change right before i put the salt and the medication in as well... =( the little white specs are beginning to multiply in numbers and have moved to parts of my golfish's body!!! and yes! it does kind of look like that picture that u showed me except there is more of it!

i dont know what caused my fishes to get "ick"... any tips as to how i can prevent it in the future?

6. tina1

tina1 New Member

If I remember correctly ich is an organism that is always present in the water it. It infects fish when they become stressed causing their immune system not to function as well as it should. A common cause is drastic temperature swings.

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

How many times have you added salt?

Your only supposed to do the full dosage once. After that, you only add more after you do a water change and only enough to cover the water change. So if you have a 50 gallon tank and do a 25% water change that would be 12.5 gallons. You'd only need to adde2 1/2 tbsp of salt. So if you've been adding the full dosage of salt every 24 hours, you most likely have too much salt in there.

Ich is an oportunistic parasite. When your fish get stressed, their immune system is compromised so ich has a chance to attack. If I'm not mistaken, the white spots are sort of like blisters where the parasit has attached itself to the fish. The common belief is that ich is constantly in the water so your fish is always a little at risk. However, after I've initially cured ich, I have NEVER had it return unless I've added new fish. So that leads me to believe that it's not constanly in the water, but introduced by new, infected fish. But that's just based on my own experience.

-Chelle

8. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

i dnt like that water temp. raise and salt, my fish stress out to much with the water being so warm, even if its like 84