1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for curriculum

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Zekesmom, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Zekesmom

Zekesmom New Member

Hello, I have a request for suggestions. I am going to be working in a small alternative HS. Eventually, I will be able to teach a 6 week class on anything I want. I would like to focus on the humane treatment of dogs. I work in an urban school where many kids have some pretty lame concepts about dog care. I would like to get across to these kids what it means to be a responsible dog owner. We have many, many irresponsible pit and rott owners in the city....which have led to breed legislation laws here. Our humane society is great here and I know I can arrange a field trip there. Any ideas, websites, concerns would be appreciated.

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

great idea!

here is a site I posted on the overpopulation thread. If you do a search on the web for humane treatment programs a lot of good info comes up. Most are run by the local HS.

recently read an artricle where this was done on older kids, I htinkg they were in dentention and had to care for a animal, well, this teenager got a poodle. At first he wanted nothing to do with it, He wanted a big macho dog to train. well ended up falling love with this poodle. Its about teaching compassion for all living things.

I dont know if this would go to well, like they do the tough love and give the kids a tour of jail, well what about werhe they euthanize the animals. I am sure that sink in, or even distributing articles here like the one I think Gina or luvdapits posted this week ont he woamsn experience wiht a shelter and she gave her details of seeing anmials put down even something like that.

But I think one of the main things to get across is compaaasion for all animals not just tough dogs and hmane treatment

http://www.animal-friends.org/site/h_edu.jsp

honeybear

3. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Zekesmom If you don't mind my asking? What city are you in?
    I am currently working with a great group of people out of Denver, Colorado fighting against BSL as well as in my local area where small towns have BSL. The ban in Denver has been reappealed. But the city council still demands the ban. There are council members, state officials in cities all over the United States working to ban not only APBT but Rottweilers and any other breed they have deemed as dangerous.
    Something has got to be done the laws have to be changed! Educating the youth is very vital! I applaud you for that.
    Here is the weblink that outlines the ban in Denver.
    http://www.3dink.com/savecyan.html
    The latest ban was in Arkansas they gave owners of APBT 10 days to rehome their beloved pets or move.
    Here's the story.
    News
    Council bans Pit Bull Terriers, Rottweilers and Doberman Pinchers

Assistant Caraway Fire Chief, Bo James, congratulates newly elected Fire Chief, Barry Riley.
    By NAN SNIDER Town Crier News Staff
    The Caraway City Council met in regular session, on May 13, and worked through a lengthy agenda consisting of amending one ordinance, passing two resolutions, and promoting a police officer.

The council discussed amending Section 9-A of Ordinance 1987-3, concerning dogs in the city. Ordinance 2004-03 bans certain dogs from being kept in the City of Caraway, which includes Pit Bull Terriers, Rottweilers, and Doberman Pinchers.

Police Chief Jerry Vaughn addressed recent situations where dogs have attacked people in the city.

"We have had some dog bites in the last few months, from dangerous dogs,'" said Caraway Mayor Joe South. "Some of the dogs may be pets, but pets can turn on their owners and the owner's children. If people would keep the dogs in a pen or on a leash, there would have been no need for a new ordinance."

South referred to a recent newspaper article, written by a postman, declaring the dogs an actual and potential damage to preserving peace and safety.

"Some of these dogs are not vicious," said alderman Johnny Boatman. "That (the attack) could be any dog. Some people already own these dogs and keep them fenced up."

"This is the same ordinance used by the rest of the county, concerning these dogs," said Mayor South.

"We have had several problems with these dogs already," said Vaughn. "Four or five years ago a Rottweiler broke his chain and attacked a kid. These three types of dogs can turn so quickly.

"I am concerned about the elderly and children, who are so defenceless," said Alderman Mike Vaughn.

"I'd hate to see someone die before we do something about them," said Jerry Vaughn.

"If we don't do something, we could be liable for not protecting our people," said Mayor South.

"The reason for the ban, is that the dogs that are here now are giving us problems," said Jerry Vaughn. "To many problems with these three breeds of dogs. Kids can't ride down the street without the dogs chasing them. People are scared to death, to even go out to their mail box. We have had problems getting out of the jeep, for fear of attack."

The council passed Ordinance 2004-03, with a 3-2 vote, banning all Pit Bull Terriers, Rottweilers, and Doberman Pinchers. Voting against the ordinance were aldermen Johnny Boatman and Curtis Taylor.

"We need to give people a few days to get rid of their dogs, before we pick them up," said Jerry Vaughn. "They need about 10 days to relocate them."
    Wow 10 whole days!!!

4. Zekesmom

Zekesmom New Member

I live and teach in Milwaukee. Luckily, kind of, our laws are just restricting the activity of rotts and pits. They may only be walked by someone 16 yrs or older, the owner must have a 6 foot high fence and 3 feet from any public sidewalk, alley or street. If the owners breaks any of these or other dog laws the tickets are usually many times more than if it was any other breed. There have been incidents where the dogs have been seized on the spot for any little thing. Usually this happens in the terrible neighborhoods but even so I worry about my dog. My biggest worry is that if there is another accident with a pit or rott then maybe they will go crazy and ban them from the city. Because of my job I am required to live in the city. The worst part is that many of the kids are learning stupid things from the stupid adults. From what I gather in listening to the students is that training consists of keeping their dogs in the basement and only allowing immediate family around the dog, one person feeds it and it is never allowed to socialize. Even friends are not allowed to socialize because"you never know when a friend could turn on you". This way the dog is "trained for protection" I try to explain that the dog is acting out of fear and not training. I have even argued with grown adults, whom I respected at one time, who call this training and that I shouldn't judge those people because it is the best that they can do given their situation.

Ok, back to your post, has any city ever overturned a BSL? That maybe a good project for my students next year.

5. GinaH

GinaH New Member

So far to my knowledge there has not been much success with lifting BSL.
    Here is a compiled list of States and the cities that currently have bans.
    Alabama

Pit bulls are banned Irondale (click for codes)

Pit Bull Restrictions in Midfield - Must be muzzled and restrained when off owners property.

Arizona

Luke Airforce Base - Pit Bull restrictions.

Arkansas

Pit Bulls are banned in Maumell (Code), Jonesboro (also German Shepard's) Sherwood and Mt. Home (Ord. 530)

Restrictions on pit bulls in Siloam Springs (see codes -Chapter 10 Article III)

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Gosnell, North Little Rock and Piggot.

California

The state of California has a comprehensive Dangerous Dog Law and legislation prohibiting breed specific restrictions.

Restrictions on pit bulls in Santa Monica and Naval Base Ventura Count:point Mugu/Hueneme

Colorado

Pit Bulls are banned in Denver (Section 8.55), Castle Rock, Fort Lupton and Commerce City.

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Wellington.

Connecticut

Pit Bulls are banned in Wethersfield (Code Detail).

Delaware

Heavy Restrictions in Wilmington (Municipal Code 3.16).

Florida

The state of California has a comprehensive Dangerous Dog Law and legislation prohibiting breed specific restrictions. Section 767.14

Pit Bulls are banned in North Miami/Dade County (click for Dade codes) - Both pure and mixed breed Pit Bull dogs are classified as dangerous. It has been illegal to acquire a new Pit Bull dog since January 1, 1990. Failure to register, muzzle, confine, and insure a Pit Bull is a violation of the law subject to severe penalty. Section 5-17.1, Miami-Dade Code.

Restrictions in Cape Coral, Sunrise, and Tamarac (click here).

Georgia

Pit Bulls are banned in Dekalb County, no new pit bulls will be registered after May 2000. Owners with registered pit bulls/mixes will be grand-fathered. Owners who can't prove ownership of their pit bull/mix prior to May 2000 will be fined and their dog seized and destroyed. This is unconfirmed, from email reports only - if anyone can help verify, please send documentation.

Restrictions on Pit Bulls in Lawrenceville (Code Details)

Hawaii

Marine Corp. Base - Restrictions on Pit Bulls

Idaho

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Kellog and Payette

Indiana

Pit Bulls are banned in Fowler.

Restrictions on Pit Bulls in South Bend (Chapter 5, article 4.5) on American Pit Bull Terriers (see definitions) does not apply to Am Staffs or Staffy Bulls. Mishawaka (code details) and Walkerton

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Gary, Williamsport and Winchester

Ilinois - 8/19/03 HB184 signed into law. BSL can no longer be passed.

Pit Bulls are banned: Addison, Greenville, Gillespie, Lombard (click for code), Northlake (also Rotties /Rottie Mixes) Westfield (also Dobermans), Wheeling (Code Details) and Wilsonville. Banned in Cicero (per Article II sec 18-47).

Restrictions: Mullberry Grove ( Pit Bull owners must carry $100,000 insurance per dog), Buffalo Grove, Bourbonnais, Hoffmann Estates and Streater and Salem (per chapter 5, article II, Div. 2).

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Central City, Chester, Dixon, Effingham, Elmwood, Johnson City, Oden, Peru, Rock Falls, Sadorous and Silvis,

Iowa

Pit Bulls are banned in: Anamosa (code details)Benton County, Coutier, Lake Mills (plus Rottweilers & mixes), Lockridge (plus Rottweilers), Muscataine( no new pit bulls), Ottumwa (note, ACF has filed a lawsuit challenging this ban), Sigourney, Wapello (banned American Staffordshire terriers, Staffordshire Bull terriers, BUT its ok to own an American Pit Bull Terrier) Conrad, banned Rotties.

Restrictions: Des Moines: Pit Bulls are defined as vicious dogs and have special license requirements per Section 18-44(e) of the municipal code. has banned Pit Bulls

BSL Reported but unconfirmed: Pocahontas, Rockwell, Wilton and Winterset.

Kansas - UPDATE

Pit Bulls are banned in Arkansas City, Banner Springs, Cheney, El Dorado, Ellinwood, Fredonia, Fort Scott, Garnet, Inman (plus rottweilers), Kansas City, Kingman, Liberal, Marion, Maize, Marysville, Nickerson, Parks, Park City, Preston, St. John (plus Rotties), Sterling, Topeka (click here), Ulysses (also banned Akitas) and Westwood. Pit Bulls are banned from all municipalities in the following counties: Cherokee County, Jackson County, Shawnee County (Code Details), Wyandotte County. Also banned in most of Johnson County (except Olathe, Mission, Lenexa, and Merriam).

Heavy requirements in Iola (click here) and Junction City Code Details. Pit Bulls are considered dangerous dogs in Manhattan (click here) and Overland Park (Click Here) and have special requirements. . Pit Bulls are restricted in Garden City, Junction City, .

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Leawood

Wichita has voted against BSL in favor of Non Breed Specific dangerous law! This was due to the emails and phone calls recevied from dog owners opposed to the BSL!

Kentucky - Updated 10/13/03

Heavy Restrictions in Covington (Code Details), Pit Bulls and Wolf Hybrids delcared Vicious. Heavy Restrictions [Registered with 2 photos, Microchipped, spayed/nuetered, muzzled, etc

Louisiana

Pit Bulls banned in Welsh a new town law approved Tuesday, April 16th 2002, gives owners of pit bull dogs 90 days to remove the dogs from the town's limits. Mayor Jimmy Cormier said pit pull dog owners have until Aug. 1 to find a place for their dogs. The measure provides for a maximum penalty of $500 and 60 days in jail , or both, for violators.

Morgan City has restricted Pit Bulls and Rottweilers (Chapter 18, Article II, Sec. 18-64).

BSL reported but unconfirmed in St. Parish and Luling

Maryland

Pit Bulls are banned in Prince George County (Cities: Accokeek, Adelphia, Aquasco, Beltsville, Berwyn Heights, Bladensburg, Bowie, Brentwood, Calverton, Camp Springs, Capital Heights, Cheverly,Clinton, Colmar Manor, Cottage City, District Heights, Eagle Harbor, Edmonston, Fairmount Height, Forest Heights, Forestville, Glenarden, Glenn Dale, Hyattsville, Indian Head, Landrover, Landover Hills, Langley Park, Lanham, Largo, Laurel, Mitchellville, Morningside, Mount Rainer, New Carrollton, North Brentwood, Riverdale Park, Seat Pleasant, Sprindale, University Park, Upper Marlboro, Woodmore.)

Naval District - Dogs (no pit breeds)

*Hagerstown is proposing a BAN (click here for article)

Alert - Possible BSL at the State Level. Delegate Charles Boutin has written a bill that he intends to pursue during the upcoming legislative session. This bill would label Pit Bulls as vicous and require a muzzle while in public. For details and a list of the email addresses for the Maryland State Legislators please visit this website.

Massachusetts

Breed restrictions reported in Amesbury, Rockport, and but are unconfirmed. New Bedford and Holyoke require a permit ($50.00) to own. Fall River requires insurance. Haverhill has breed restrictions for Pit Bulls. The state of MA just passed a non breed specific dangerous dog law (click here)

Michigan - Updated 10/13/03

Pit Bulls banned in Alma (Code Details), Crystal Falls, Grosse Pointe Woods (Code Details), Hudsonville, Waterford and Redford

Restrictions in Detroit (click here), Ramsey, Westland (code details) and Dearborn Heights, Muskegon (click here)

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Muskegon Heights

Pontiac - **Ban has been repealed! in favor of a Dangerous Dog Law (click here for article). Proposal to ban pit bulls in the state of Michigan is in process.

Minnesota

Section: 347.51, Subd. 8. Local ordinances. A statutory or home rule charter city, or a county, may not adopt an ordinance regulating dangerous or potentially dangerous dogs based solely on the specific breed of the dog. Ordinances inconsistent with this subdivision are void.

Mississippi

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Greenville.

Missouri

Pit Bulls banned in Ashland, Belton (click for codes), Black Jack (click for codes), Booneville, Camdenton, Carl Junction (plus Rottweilers), Drexel, Ferguson (click for codes), Liberty, New Franklin and Pagedale. In Salisbury, no new pit bulls allowed, existing pit bulls must be registered with city.

Restrictions in Butler (Code Details) Clayton (Details), In Hallsville and Wentzville. Persons owning Pit bulls must have reinforced windows and doors, $50,000 of liability insurance on home owners policy, if outside, dogs must be kept in a kennel with a top and concrete floor and walked on a leash longer than 4' and muzzled at all times. Pit bulls must be registered with the city for $35.00 each.

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Cameron, Fenton, Grandby, Greenwood, Macon, Springfield, University City and Wooden Terrace.

Montana

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Libby and Ekalaka

Nebraska

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Friend

New Jersey

Restrictions on pit bulls in Millville (Code Details) Englewood and Bergan County.

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Atlantic City, Highland Park and West New York.

The NJ "vicious dog law" is found at N.J.S.A. 4:19-17 et seq., it defines vicious and aggressive dogs, includes ample due process before a dog may be adjudicated vicious or aggressive, allows for the settlement of pending cases, and specifically supercedes any local laws. See specifically, N.J.S.A. 4:19-36: "Act to supersede inconsistent local laws. The provisions of this act shall supersede any law, ordinance, or regulation concerning vicious or potentially dangerous dogs, any specific breed of dog, or any other type of dog inconsistent with this act enacted by any municipality, county, or county or local board of health."

NEW JERSEY STATE LEGISLATURE (bill NJ-S2381) Please take a moment to read the proposed bill (click here) and pass this information along to those people and organizations whom you feel may be interested in this information. This bill is almost identical to Bill NJ-2906 which was defeated - It will severely restrict Pit Bulls and Rottweilers. Please contact your legislators!

New Mexico

BSL Reported but not confirmed in Tijeras

Kirtland Air Force Base - Pit Bulls, American Staffordshire Bull Terriers, English Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Rottweilers (full or mixed breed), wolf hybrids, or any canine breed with dominant traits geared towards aggression are not permitted in MFH.

New York

Pit Bulls banned in Larchmont.

Restrictions in Yonkers requires proof of insurance coverage of $100,000 in order to obtain a license for a pit bull or pit bull mix.

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Jamestown, Maybrook, Mount Vernon, North Hempstead, New Rochelle, Newburgh, Sand Point, Village of Hempstead and Villiage of Haverstraw.

New York is now the 12th state to prohibit passage of breed-specific legislation; dogs are judged on the deeds, not breeds.

North Carolina

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Transylvania County

North Dakota

Pit Bulls banned in, Minot. Velva has banned Rottweilers

BSL Reported but unconfirmed in Kildear and Bismark.

Ohio

Statewide "vicious dog" law which includes "Pit Bulls." Statewide requirement of $100,000 liability insurance coverage per dog ($50,000 in Cleveland and some other cities), and have 6-foot, padlocked fences or kennel with enclosed top.

Pit Bulls banned in Bexley, Cincinnati, Defiance Code Details, Fairfield Code Details, Gold Manor, Mansfield (Code Details), Mayfield Code Details, Mentor on the Lake Code Details,, Reynoldsburg (city ord. #505.35) and Silver Lake (Code Details).

Additional restrictions in Akron, Bay Village (Code Details), Bellvue (Code Details), Celina (Code Details), Cleveland, East Cleveland, Findlay ( Code Details), Highland Heights( Code Details), Louisville (Code Details), Middlefield (Code Details), Mt. Vernon (Code Details), Napolean (Code Details), New Albany (Code Details), Oxford (Code Details), Perrysburg (Code Details), Powel (Code Details), Richmond Heights, Springboro, St. Mary's, Toledo, Wickliffe (Code Details), Wooster (Code Details) and Yellow Springs (Code Details).

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Cambridge, Franklin County, Girard, Heath, Lucas County, Ludlow Falls, Miami County, Newark, North Perry, Parma, S. Euclid, Shaker Heights, Silverlake, South Point, Warrensville Heights and Washington Court House.

Oklahoma

Pit Bulls banned in Del City and Midwest City (suburb of Oklahoma City).

BSL Reported but unconfirmed in Eufaula and Quenton .

Pennsylvania

The state of Pennsylvania has a law prohibiting BSL. However, Philadelphia is currently trying to get it overturned in the city for their own "special" situation - be sure to stay on the look out.

Restrictions in Reading.

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Elizabeth

Puerto Rico

The US Territory of Puerto Rico has a ban on Pit Bull ownership

Rhode Island *new*

Pawtucket bans new pit bulls effective January 1, 2004. Current owners need to register there pit bulls. Providence requires a $20 license fee, registration forms, and proof of 25,000 insurance. East Greenwich also has a mandatory insurance requirement for Pit Bulls. Bristol requires insurance on Pits, Am. Staffs & Bull Terriers.

Newport has banned Rotties, Chows and Dobermans

South Carolina

Travelers Rest has banned Rotties, Chows and Dobermans

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Columbia.

South Dakota

Sisseton has banned Dobermans

Tennesse

Lynville it's Illegal to own, keep, train or possess a Rottie, pit bull, chow, doberman or GSD.

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Jackson, Smyrma and Waterton

Texas

The state of Texas has a law prohibiting BSL. Section 822.047

Pit Bulls banned in Neisville, existing pit bulls have been restricted in the city.

Kyle has an ordinance on new pit bull ownership

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Terrel

Utah

Rotties and Shar-Pei's are banned in N. South Lake City and Smithfield.

Virginia

Prohibits passage of breed-specific legislation; dogs are judged on the deeds, not their breeds.

Washington

Pit Bulls banned in Algona, (click for ordinance), Enumclaw (Code Detail), Issaquah Highland Subdivision (Click here).

Restrictions in Buckly, Everett (code details), Inland, Kennewick (code detail) ($250 license fee for dangerous dog permit and $50,000 bond and other requirements -see chapter 8), Kirkland (code detail), Moxee, Oak Harbor (click for Oak Harbor municipal code), Prosser, Quincy, Sea tac (code details), Sunnyside, Toppenosh, Yakima (click for codes).

BSL reported but uncomfirmed in Neah Bay, King County,

Wisconsin

Pit Bulls and are banned in Fox Lake, Randolph, South Milwaukee and East Troy. Neisville has banned all new pit bulls and restricted existing pit bulls.

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Oconto.

6. honeybears

honeybears New Member

wow, 10 days, that is horrible! gosh what about my parents sitzu that attacks and bites.

"New York is now the 12th state to prohibit passage of breed-specific legislation; dogs are judged on the deeds, not breeds. " :D

honeybear

7. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

Maybe taping an episode or two of the show Cell Dogs from Animal Planet. That show would demonstrate how even the most hardened convicts show such great care and compassion for the dogs they are assigned to train. I think that is a terrific program for both the doge and the convicts.
    Another great show is Dogs with Jobs that runs on the National Geographic Channel. This show features all sorts of dogs assisting people, hearding, working in crime detection, search and rescue etc.

8. Zekesmom

Zekesmom New Member

Thanks, Dukesdad, I watch those shows all the time anyway. I could do a small unit for what dogs do for us and what we do for dogs, or that could be the whole theme actually. I went to the Humane Society and they don't have a lot of educational programs for High School kids, which is common, not sure why, there's plenty of people over the age of 12 that need some learnin'.....The tough part is going to be assessing what they have learned so it has some credibility...I know we could see if GinaH can make my at-risk teenagers cry by the end of the curriculum, then we'll know if they learned about dogs...Just kidding...

Reading those lists of BSL was very scary!! I just hope I could sell my house in 10 days if they banned Rotts.