1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Idiot Update!!!!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Sarge'smom, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

:eek: My husband called his friend downtown and they went right over! My other neighbor also filed a complaint that morning and the neighbors behind them have called in several comlaints it seems, and they have removed the dog for now, pending further investigation!!!!! (whispers that Dept. of Family and Children Services will also be called in!) Wow! D :y_the_best: o I feel better!!!

2. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

I talked to our friend too, he said they have had a ton of complaints in the last 2 weeks, enough to make it an ER situation to remove asap w/out conducting the investigation first.

3. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Good job, now maybe this dog will have a chance to live a good life.

4. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Now I will just worry about the kids :? . I wish we had heard or seen something before this weekend, or one of the neighbors would have said something sooner. We live next door and Sat. night was the first time I had ever heard anything (of course with 2 small boys it is rarely quiet enough in my house to hear anything outside!) I am so glad they got Shaq out! You should see how pretty this dog is too, he really is one of the most beautiful Dobes I have ever seen.

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Hopefully he was saved in time. It is scary that a lot of people who will abuse animals will also abuse their own children. I hope the kids are okay.

Jamiya

6. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

good for you!!!!! Too many people turn their backs on stuff like this cause they don't want to get involved or cause trouble with their neighbors....I'm very glad you, and everyone else, was brave enough to get involved.

If I wore a hat I'd take it off to you :y_the_best:

7. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Oh I was nervous all right!!!! But, what else can you do once you know what is going on? You have a responsibility in any outcome from the moment you become aware. And I could not live with something happening to those kids or that beautiful puppy. I know it's hard, butyou can always find a way to do the right thing.

8. kindness_001

kindness_001 New Member

wtg .. more people need to take that step if they know things are going on. :y_the_best:

9. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

:roll: Just so you don't think I am too good, I plan on acting ignorant when I go home after work if I see the owners!!!!!

10. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

We said you were brave, not stupid. :D

Jamiya

11. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

:lol: Thanks!!!

12. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Oh, that's great news! You have potentially saved one life. Doesn't that feel good!!

I do wonder about the children though. Children and teens aren't born wth agressive or destructive behaviour, rather they are exposed to it in the home, and it becomes inherent in their lives. I hope someone does look into it.

Great news about the puppy though!!

13. honeybears

honeybears New Member

That is good news, lets hope the puppy turns out unharmed, and the famliy situation gets resolved.

honeybear

14. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Thanks, it does feel good and the dad felt terrible. Said that he could not believe that he would get that mad at the dog and that it did bite his baby girl. He said he should ot have been training it to be a gurad dog with kids in the house and that he did not know what he was thinking. He is allowing for a voluntary adoption of the puppy out to a no kid family and is putting get a dog on hold till the baby is older. He seemed sincere. I just hope he was. One of the other "tattler" neighbors and I talked to him last night outside and he told us someone had called, etc.. and he thought it was the neighbor in back, which was ONE of the people who called. But, he said he didn't blame them and that he was glad that they did :shock: . I asked the other tattler if she believed him and she said she did. She she said that she has lived next door to him for 6 years and has never once seen or heard anything that would show him to be violent that he has always made sure that his kids are cared for and his property is cared for. That his kids do not act at all afraid of him and that he works really hard. So, hopefully, this was a case of getting into something he did not really realize enough about and that he now understands. [-o<

15. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

He probably had no idea how to train a dog, or anything else about them for that matter. So many people just get a dog and toss them in the house and that's that. Easy dogs end up working out fine. Not easy dogs usually end up abused or in the shelter. :(

At least he seems to have learned his lesson. Maybe he will choose a breed more wisely next time. Tell him to come post here before he tries to get another dog, and we can help steer him to the right kind of dog! :) There are also several sites out there where you can enter in what you want in a dog and it will suggest breeds to look into.

Jamiya

16. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

:D Jamiya, I love your posts! Straight to the heart of the matter and always willing to help out! I did tell him to check out the site or if he did not have time or was intimidated by it, that I would do it for him if he tells me what he is looking for. He said he would really appreciate the help, that he did not want to make another mistake. I told him to let me know a month or so before he is ready and I would do a little "chatting" with the group to see what they thought. He told me to be sure and let everyone online kow how embarrassed and horrible he felt and that he does respect our canine pals. He was almost in tears telling us everything. He said he just snapped when he saw the dog bite the baby and it was later that he had to see that it was his fault not the puppy's fault. I really felt like he was being honest, he is a fairly private guy, always polite and friendly, but never pushy or mouthy and he seemed almost grateful to be able to talk about it all.

17. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Wonderful! Everyone loses their temper sometimes, expecially when their child is in danger. A puppy is SUCH a handful. When you don't have the knowledge to handle it, things can go wrong very quickly.

I'm glad he will ask for help when he is ready. Make sure you ask him things like whether he wants to deal with grooming, if shedding bothers anyone in the house, how active their kids are, what size dog they want, and what they want the dog for - companionship, dog sports, jogging, lapdog, etc. NO GUARD DOGS! :)

Have him buy an Ian Dunbar puppy book and read it BEFORE they get a dog. I also like "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller.

He might also consider an adult dog rather than a puppy. There are some of those prison programs around where we live, where the inmates train the shelter dogs. I think it's a wonderful way to get a well-behaved dog (although you still have to know how to train to reinforce it).

Jamiya

18. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Tell me more please, I have not read it!!!!!

19. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Thank god he really does have a heart. I felt sorry for this guys situation. Is his baby doing alright?

20. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

"The Power of Positive Dog Training" starts out by telling you why positive training is better than negative training - easier, faster, more fun, better for the dog, etc. Then it goes into a week-by-week clicker training program for your dog where you teach tricks and obedience - because face it, it's ALL tricks to your dog!

Ian Dunbar writes about how to bring a puppy into your lives. He talks about all the issues - behavior, housetraining, etc. He has instructions for how to do long downs with your pup so they are used to it, how to have the dog go lie down in it's place, how to stop jumping up - all that good stuff. (A lot of that is in the other book as well.)

The two Ian DUnbar books I have (and have only skimmed through) are "Doctor Dunbar's Good Little Dog Book" and "How To Teach a New Dog Old Tricks". He has a bunch more out there, though - go do a search for "Ian Dunbar" on amazon.com.

Jamiya