1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

ill 4 week old kitten

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by rachek, May 23, 2004.

1. rachek

rachek New Member

I'm not sure what is going on with this kitten. It was up and playing yesterday. Today I got up to it screaming out. It was sitting there with its head back and meowing real loud. Afterwards it moved around and slobber was pouring out of its mouth. It hasn't eaten all day and has done this several times throughout the day. Where I live there is only two vets and neither of them offer emergency care. You can only get their services during office hours. They won't be open until Monday. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do and what this could be. Thank you.

2. nern

nern New Member

I would get him to the vet first thing on Monday. I'm not sure what you can do for him in the meantime. If he is not drinking I would use an eye dropper to give him water to ensure that he does'nt become dehydrated. You may even be able to mix a bit of canned food with water and feed it to him with the eye dropper as well if he is still not eating by tomorrow. Keep us posted.

3. russianbluefanatic

russianbluefanatic New Member

it may be in hypoglycemic shock, this can happen very rabidly in small kittens, caused by long periods between meals, the glucose level goes so low the kitten crashes.
    I would smear a little honey on the gums quick smart and see if that helps.
    then get him to a vet as soon as possible.

4. rachek

rachek New Member

Thank you both for your suggestions. I am going to try them. Hopefully it will help. I am going to take the kitten to the vet tomorrow, I will let you all know what the cause is and how the kitten is doing. Thanks.

5. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

hi rachek. just read your post. was not online over the weekend. how is your little kitty? i felt so bad when i read what happened. just wanted to let you know that i'm thinking of you and the kitty. hope he/she? is okay. please post when you find out. lynn and maxie

6. rachek

rachek New Member

I took the kitten to the vet today. They said its sugar got low and that it had worms. They gave me a big tube of medicine to help the sugar, worm medicine, and some cream for its eyes. I am hoping for a full recovery very soon. Thank you all for your suggestions and support they have meant so much. Thank you.

7. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

whew! glad you identified the problems. let us know as you go along. can be stressful...i know.

8. rachek

rachek New Member

I am happy to report that the kitten is doing better. Last night she was weak but didn't take a spell like she was doing before. The medicine is helping her. Today she seems she's getting some of her strength back. She's been up walking around. She meows every time she is hungry and then eats like pig. But hates to take her medicine. She's not eating from her mother. She don't even root for a teat. I am going to call the vet tommorow and see if this is a problem. Whether or not she needs the nutrients from her mothers milk, her being so young. Again thank you all for your suggestions and support. Thank You. :)

9. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

good to get your report. sounds a little better. i have seen alot on the internet about bottle feeding and supplements. but i am sure your vet or other forum members can give more specific info. just glad she is a little better.

10. rachek

rachek New Member

I'm sorry that I haven't posted in a while. I called the vet, he said that it was fine her eating canned cat food. She is eating good and gaining weight. She's still acting kind of weak. She don't act like she's caught up with her sisters and brothers. She's much much smaller and doesn't run and play. Hopefully she will get completely better soon and join in the fun with them. If you wonder why I have called her the kitten or she throughout all my posts it's because we haven't given her a name yet. We can't think of a name for her. With our other cats we chose a name that described their personality. Except for a few we name them from their appearance. We haven't gotten to see her personality yet. Any suggestions with names.
    Our cats names-Cute Cute, Callie, Mooka, Casper, Foxy, Cappie Jr., Stanker, Baby Girl, Big Un' and Chubs

11. rachek

rachek New Member

I am afraid that if we don't name her soon, she will never know what to come to. Or feel jealous because the other cats have names. (We haven't named her brothers and sisters) We've got them given away as soon as they are weened. I wan't to keep her though, I couldn't just give her to anybody, she's got special needs. Her medicine, vet visits, and a bunch of love from me. My husband doesn't understand that. He thinks I'm crazy because I love cats so much. But I don't care I'm going to keep her. :p

12. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

well...i'll just throw in my 2 cents...when we named otis, i never called him that...always called him "bubby", and sometimes "puppy". then he passed away and i got max. but in the beginning, i named him "frank". but it just didnt seem to fit, plus it's hard to call a cat and talk to him in...you know...baby talk. like..."here frank...here frank..." how cute is that? not very... BUT!! max is good. i can go "MAAAAAA-AA-XXXX" when i call him. just seems to flow. or "MAXIE!" or "LITTLE MAXIE CAT!" so...i vote for "Callie" it seems or flow. usually when they end with "ie" you can do the baby talk more easily. but...i dont know, maybe you dont even do the baby talk. then it wouldnt even matter. so i guess my point is, just try a few names out. each for a couple of days, and see which flows the best. let us know the results!