1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I'll be switching filters

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by sleeper, Feb 15, 2005.

1. sleeper

sleeper New Member

Hey all--

So I got tired of the cruddy filters I inherited with my 20G and I went to Petsmart today and upgraded to the AquaClear Power. I'm a little worried about ammonia spike though... should I leave my current filter system in for a day or two while the new one acclimates? Is this going to cause a problem? Tips?

Thanks.

2. M_wm

M_wm New Member

is ur tank already cycled? if it is cycled switching filters shouldnt really hurt anything but it would still be better if you took some media from ur old filter and ran it in ur new one for a week or so

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Either transfer all the media from your old filter to the new one (best thing to do) or run both filters for at least 2 weeks then remove the old one (you may encounter a mini cycle with this method).

-Chelle

4. sleeper

sleeper New Member

t_chelle, how can I transfer media from two entirely different kinds of filters? One is in-tank and the new filter (which I've installed w/o removing the others) is external.

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Does the internal filter have sponges or filter floss of any kind? If it does, you should just be able to put it in the media compartment of the Aqua Clear. Otherwise, just run both filters for a couple weeks then you can remove the old one. Just keep a close eye on your water parameters for about a week or so after you remove the old one.

-Chelle

6. sleeper

sleeper New Member

Thanks t_chelle. Nice new avatar, btw.

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

No problem. And thanks. :D

-Chelle