1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I'm a new mommy (again)

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Aqueous, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I was in the pet store (originally with the intent of getting a Vision 210 cage) and I saw the cutest little budgies. They were so cute that I just had to get them. So now I have 2 new babies. One is a blue and the other is a weird mix that looks like violet feathers under grey feathers.

I think they're going to get a long with Buster and Kiwi pretty well.

For now they're in Buster's old cage (for their quarenteen period) and Buster and Kiwi are in the new Vision 210 (yes I ended up getting it) and finally getting along. The other 2 (they don't have names yet) are talking to Buster and Kiwi through the cage bars and seem really interested in the two of them and Buster and Kiwi seem interested in them too.

Now I just have to wait to get started with training. The grey/violet should be pretty east but the blue bites pretty hard (not as bad a Kiwi though). They're both sweeties though.

I'll post some pics once I take some!

2. drab911

drab911 New Member

CONGRADS!!
    wow the violet one sounds beautiful!
    I was thinking of expanding my "flock" in a couple of months myself... so for the quarantine period the cages can be side by side and that is still safe enough? Or are you worried about airborn illnesses? and how long will you keep them seperated?
    also Id love to see a picture of your new cage!! Id like to see what size cage is needed for 4 budgies... thanks

3. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

do you have the new two in a different room than the other two incase they do have something wrong with them? If not you should so if they do have something the other two don't catch it.

4. drab911

drab911 New Member

What would you do if you lived in a basement suite and you basically only have one big room and a bedroom? I think it would be better to risk the airborn stuff then isolate the new one??

5. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I have the new 2 in the laundry room and Kiwi and Buster are across the hall so they can see each other but they aren't that close. They just climb on the bars and stare across the hall and chirp at each other.

The vision 210 looks like this:

[​IMG]

But I have my own perches in it. The perches that came with it looked cheap and uncomfortable.

They'll probably be seperated for atleast 2 weeks and then they'll be together only when I feel comfortable with them being together.

6. drab911

drab911 New Member

Wow nice cage!!
    How much was it if you dont mind my asking?

7. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

On sale $129 (plus GST + PST), but when I bought it I got $10 off each budgie. All together (including the budgies) it cost me about $170 incl. tax.

8. drab911

drab911 New Member

Oh your in canada... hello fellow canadian haha.. anyways where did you buy it from? And where are you from?

9. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

you should keep them separated for about a month just to be safe. It sounds like they are far enough apart.

10. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I got mine at PJ's Pet Centre. I'm in Toronto.

11. drab911

drab911 New Member

OK so as long as they are like 20 feet apart then... good I can just put them on opposite sides of my living room... Would it make a difference when I get the new one if they are in seperate cages? I heard its better to buy one first and get it tame and then buy another.. but if they are in seperate cages does this rule still apply?

12. drab911

drab911 New Member

are the dimensions 24" x 16 " x 22"?? Thats the one i found on the net... seems kinda small for 4??

13. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

no it doesn't if you buy both at the soem time you can not breed them since there is too high of a risk of them being related. But they could be in the same cage for quarantine. Just watch them closely. If you bought them at seperate time keep them apart for a month and watch closely and then you can put them together but be very careful and watch them closely in case they fight. You could breed them then since the chance of them being related is much much less.

14. drab911

drab911 New Member

Yeah I already have one budgie... but I would like to get at least one more.. I am not intending on having them breed... I am kinda a wimp though I still have not held mine and its been 3 weeks... is this too long?

15. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Hagen says that the cage is 24"L x 22" H x 16" W. I probably won't be keeping all 4 in the same cage but Kiwi's cage was definately not big enough for 2. I originally bought the two to be friends for Kiwi and Buster because sometimes the two of them don't get along. I'll probably keep Kiwi (he's the big guy) and a new one in the 210 and move Buster back into his cage with the other new one (after the quarenteen period).

16. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

No it is not it doesn't matter how old they are you can still train them.

17. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Congrats on the new birds and the cage is smart...

New birds can be kept in the same room as other birds providing that they are kept at a distance the thing with germs and viruses lets say that you have the birds in seperate rooms and the new birds have a really bad cold sneezing and stuff all the time keeping them in seperate rooms is not going to matter because these germs are air born so therefore they will reach the old birds.

Most viruses out now are air born and can travel to another host so basically your in a no win situation.

You have done right by keeping them at a distance but placing them so all birds can see and talk to each other...

Good luck with the new birds and i hope they all become best friends.

Mike

18. kathy5

kathy5 New Member

congrats on your 2 new addishions looking foward to the pictures
    kathy