1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I'm Back! (With plenty of pictures, updates, and questions!)

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by gwen13, Mar 29, 2005.

1. gwen13

gwen13 New Member

Hi everyone!!

I don't know how many of you here will even remember me, but even if not, hello there :y_the_best: I've missed you all tons! I've been so busy with school lately I haven't been able to post often, just read occasionally.

It's been a while, but I brought home my newest addition, Chloe, back in the beginning of February. She's a little fluffy longhair Chihuahua who is just about the sweetest pup I've seen so far! Just wants to be held and cuddled all the time.

For a few weeks, we couldn't convince her to do anything but sit on your lap or be held. I would take her to play and she was overflowed with toys but when you sat her on the ground she would just walk back over and plop herself in your lap! :roll:

Luckily it wasn't a fear issue and she's adapted herself now. I guess she was just tired or not used to her surroundings yet. She was never afraid of my husky Gia which is another good thing.

They're doing good together so far. There's still some issue with the puppy constantly teething on my huskies toes and ears though =(

And for some reason the pup has some obsession with putting her head inside of her mouth?? Can anyone explain this?

My other dog finds it very uncomfortable but never tries to bite, just looks confused. It's like the little one is trying to lick her teeth or something, and she bites her lip.

Hopefully she'll settle down a bit soon because Gia seems to be getting annoyed with Chloe always jumping at her face, since she is blind on one side. She's really tolerant with her but occasionally growls a little bit. I'm hoping the growls are just signs to let her know when she is going too far? That is what I heard so hopefully I'm correct and Gia doesn't secretly hate her! :shock:

There were a few more things I was wondering about but I've seem to have forgotten, so onto the pictures!!

[​IMG]
    This one requires a bit of an explanation:
    Chloe's legs are so short for her to run as fast as she tries to, so she's taken up hopping! Full on hopping, just like a rabbit. My little cousin calls her Foofoo :roll: (you know, little bunny foo foo...)
    So there she is, mid-hop.

Her favorite activity is leaf-chasing, and she does this little victory dance on her back legs when she catches one:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here she is, waiting for some more leaves to fall or start blowing around so she can attack them.

[​IMG]
    Break-time =)

[​IMG]
    The eyes that get her spoiled!!

[​IMG]
    Such a baby :roll:

[​IMG]
    This was before her ears stood up, she was a floppy eared chi for a while there.

[​IMG]
    Lastly, her favorite place to sleep!

[​IMG]
    Silly pups :mrgreen:

2. nern

nern New Member

Welcome back!
    I think Gia's growling is just a warning..kind of like "leave me alone".

She is an absolute doll! That last picture with your husky is my favorite....what a sweet picture. :D

3. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Hi. :) Great pics...very cute.

I agree with nern about the growling, the only thing I would be concerned about is something like a quick 'snap' because the pup is so small. I had a 5# Chi mix and a 110# rott, both adults, the Chi would jump on the Rotts head and attack her ears, she would usually stand up and shake the Chi off when she'd had enough....or sometimes while she was still laying down would use her paw to pin the Chi down (much to the annoyance of the Chi).

4. pebblesmom

pebblesmom New Member

your puppy is sooo cute...I know exactly what you mean with the biting and bugging the older dog, my maltepoo likes to hang from the skin under my lab's chin! she's also put her head inside of josies mouth when they are playing...so far josie hasn't growled at the pup..she just open-mouth bites her and kinda shoves her away with her mouth...it is nerve-wracking but i've been told it's normal...puppy starts kindergarten in a week or so, i'm hoping she'll get a chance to take her energy out with the other puppy's and give josie a break!
    i'd be worried about the bigger dog snapping at the pup too though...do you separate them when you know your older dog is getting annoyed?...i can always tell when the playing is getting out of hand and give them a time out away from each other for a few.....especially if puppy is getting too 'bitey'..

5. lil96

lil96 New Member

the mouth thing is something friendly, dogs in the wild do it too. it is sort of a way of saying hi. I'll try to find more info on it. But I read a book about dog behavior before and it talked about that. I think the submissive one does the licking and the dom is the mouth. but it could be theother way around, i forget.

6. honeybears

honeybears New Member

how cute!! I thought you had another Chi too?

7. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

:eek: Great pictures! What cuties! I bet the mouth thing is like when a puppy does that to a mother dog to get food--like lil said in the wild. :0011:

Has your Grandparents quit letting Gia out? How's that going?

8. gwen13

gwen13 New Member

Thanks everyone!!

Gia is a doll and has never snapped at Chloe or my other chi Nico, who my mom has just fallen in love with! She's been keeping the little guy and doesn't seem to want to let go. He's such a happy little bug though and goes with her to the office everyday and just about anywhere she goes. I left him with her while I had gone on vacation and they became inseparable ever since.
    We go see him everyday still but he needs to get fixed now that there's a girl around that's just his size! No little chis for me, I leave that to the experts.
    -----------

When Gia has had enough playing she'll get up and walk away or she pushes Chloe with her nose (?? Not sure why) onto her back and just holds her there. She does it all gently but if Chloe is especially relentless in her bugging she goes in her little time out (inside the laundry basket! hehe, since we don't want her to associate her actual crate with punishment)
    So this way she's still near Gia and can see her but she can't get out and bug her or play until she settles down. Gia is really tolerant and wouldn't hurt a fly but just because of the size difference I'm ALWAYS watching them. They only play together when I'm there sitting on the floor with them, just in case!

Good to hear that some of this stuff is normal though, I remember Nico used to stick his head in Gia's mouth too. She just kind of sits there with her mouth open making this face :shock: But doesn't seem bothered by it.

Oh and thanks for remembering about that gate incident! We put locks on all of the gates that only me or my dad can open and they've gotten better about learning to leave Gia inside, because contrary to popular belief, she's not your typical husky =P