1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Important and serious sick betta help!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Nameless, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I dunno what is wrong, but I noticed from last night that my betta is just lying down on the bottom of the bowl. I thought that O.k. he is just probaly resting but he is doing it more and more often. Then today I noticed that is is barely even moving and he just lies on his side and then occationally he will start to swim around very very very quickly aroudn the bowl and then he will stop. Also, I noticed that the scales are peeling away, well at least sort of, behind his head, and this area has a noticeable red spot. I dunno what to do. I'm going to do a water change soon to see what happens after this but your advice and help will be great!

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

This isn't a filtered bowl, right?

What is the ammonia reading?

How long since your last water change?

-Chelle

3. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Yes, my bowl is not filtered. I need a new water testing kit, so I can't give you a reading on ammonia. I was thinking that was the problem so that is why I am going to do another water change. My last water change was about a week ago. Should I temporarily place my betta in my rubbermaid 5 gallon bucket with my feeder guppies for now until I can make the water change or does it not matter?

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Is there some reason you can't do the water change right now?

If you do put him in with the guppies, it would be better to put him in a breder box just to keep him from attacking them or, if he's weak, keep them from nipping at him.

-Chelle

5. tski22

tski22 New Member

I would agree with Chelle. I would jsut put him in a breeder box. Do a quick 100 percent water change, and they let him back in. The whole procedure shouldnt take you more then 10 or 15 minutes anyways for a small tank/container. -tl