1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

In memory of Izzy

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by GinaH, Jun 20, 2004.

1. GinaH

GinaH New Member

My beautiful girl Izzy passed away sometime in the night. We are not sure how or why.
    She was only 4 years old.
    Izzy was a beautiful shy girl who had a terrible life before she came to me. The first year of her life was spent with a horrible abusive man who starved and abused her to the point of almost death. She was rescued by neighbor who turned her over to the humane society.
    And that is where I come in. When Izzy was brought into the shelter she was a mere 22lbs nursing puppies and had scars deeper then anyone ever knew. I volunteered at the shelter 2 times a week and she was always the first I visited. I walked her and talked to her and hoped everyday someone would save her. She was so shy and scared it broke my heart each time I saw her. I left for vacation and when I came back she had been adopted.
    I had mixed emotions because I would miss her terribly but also so very happy she had found a forever home.
    I thought about her often and wondered if she was being treated well and if she had let go of her demons.
    But unfortunately Izzy had been failed again. She was again in the hands of a terrible human. Who later was found to have 34 dogs some which were used as fighting dogs and others who were simply bait. All the dogs were confiscated some were PTS and the others were put into shelters. By some divine hand Izzy was placed in the same shelter she had been adopted from just 6 months earlier. I was there the day she was brought in. I could not believe my eyes here was the dog who had been in my heart everyday since I first laid eyes on her. Needless to say 2 days later she went home with me.
    But no amount of love caring or kindness could help her. Her spirit had been broken.
    She was more shy and scared then ever. Everytime I tried to pet her she flinched in fear.
    She would never eat in my presence she never played because she didn't know how. She did not respond to a loving touch or a gentle voice affection was never welcomed. Her trust for humans was gone forever. She was just a shell of a dog who's demons haunted her everyday of her life.
    Regardless I still loved her and always will.
    Today I think Izzy knew she was going to pass. She was like a puppy again I had never seen her act the way she did she ran and played with the other dogs and actually approached me for affection. I swear she had a sparkle in her eyes. She licked my face for the first time ever right before I went to bed.
    And when I awoke this morning she appeared to be sleeping peacefully right beside my bed where she had slept for the past two years. But I knew she was gone. Finally the demons that plagued her were gone she was free.
    I don't think I will ever get over her death. My husband want's to take her in to have her autopsied to find out why she died but I don't want to. I don't need to know. Because I know my girl is finally truly happy. I have lost pet's before and it was very hard and I grieved for a long time. But not for Izzy because in the end I think death for her was her release.
    Isabelle (Izzy) 2000-2004.

[​IMG]

2. nern

nern New Member

It is so sad what that poor dog has been through....I'm so glad she was able to spend her last years with someone like you. I am so sorry for your loss. :cry:

3. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

May she long last be at peace while she waits patiently for all to be together again.

4. lil96

lil96 New Member

I am so sorry for your loss and for Izzy suffering. I hope she is somewhere running and jumping and playing tug of war!

5. Rene

Rene New Member

i'm so sorry gina i know how hard it is i lost my Nala in on March 31st this year she was a 6 year old Rottie and we miss her dearly but i know now she is healthy again and is in doggie heaven with your Izzy and they are haveing a blast

Rene

6. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

A DOG LOANED

"I'll lend you for a little time a dog of mine"he said
    "For you to love while she lives and mourn for when she's dead".

It maybe six or seven years or maybe more than these, but will you, till I
    call her back, take care of her for me?

She'll bring her charm to gladden you, and should her stay be brief, you'll
    have her memories, as solace for your grief.

I cannot promise she will stay, since all from earth return, but there are
    lessons taught down there, I want this dog to learn.

I've looked this wide world over, in my search for teachers true, and from
    the throngs that crowd life's lanes, I have selected you.

Now will you give her all your love, nor think the labour vain, nor hate me
    when I come to call, and take her back again?

I fancied that I heard them say "Dear Lord, thy will be done", for all the
    joy thy dog shall bring, for the risk of grief we'll run.

We'll shelter her with tenderness, we'll love her while we may, and for the
    happiness we've known, forever grateful stay.

But should the angels call for her, we'll brave the bitter grief that comes,
    and try to understand.

7. vene

vene New Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. Izzy's story has brought me to tears and I do not cry easily, not even when my Vene passed away. I agree with you. Izzy is in a better place and her suffering has ceased. She gave you a wonderful gift right before she left. She was beautiful!

8. SwtBettyLu

SwtBettyLu New Member

I am so sorry for you loss she is in a safe place now, even though she was in a safe place with you. You will always have the memories that you shared with us for a lifetime and I am sure so will Izzy.

9. Rene

Rene New Member

10. Jody

Jody New Member

Oh Gina, just reading your post bought tears to my eyes. I am so sorry for you loss, I pray your baby is in a better place and no longer will suffer pain and fear as she did in the arms of the abusive pr*cks. :cry:

*HUGS*

11. pamr61

pamr61 New Member

I'm so sorry..... Bless you for giving her the love she deserved for the time she was with you. It does sound like she knew--- and she was saying thank you and goodbye, and also knew in her heart that she would soon be released from her worldly demons from her past, so for that last day was able to be free before she went on her way.

12. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Gina,
    I am so sorryyyyyyyyyyy to hear about your Izzy. :cry: :cry: That story broke my heart..... You're right, she must have known it was her last day/night with you. I'm sure she was kissing you to thank you for making her last part of her life a happy and safe one. Be proud.... she died LOVED, instead of at the hands of those horrible people. YOU got the last kiss. :) Again, be proud.

13. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Thank you all for your kind words. It is really comforting to know I can come here and talk to people who truly understand the sorrow of losing a pet.
    Izzy's vet came out to see her one last time before she was laid to rest.
    He said he thought she must of had heart failure most likely Dilated Cardiomyopathy. He said it is something that happens in larger dogs and usually is not detected until it's to late. Izzy was perfectly healthy otherwise she had just been to the vet 2 months prior and was sent home with a clean bill of health.

14. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Gina: I am so sorry for how you must be feeling right now. Your story brought tears to my eyes.

I think it is wonderful what you did for this poor girl, even when she had given up on man kind for good. I may have taken her until yesterday to realize how fortunate that she was to live her last days finally knowing what love is. I also believe she knew she may pass.

I think she just wanted to let you know she appreciated everything you did for her. Finally she has peace.

15. honeybears

honeybears New Member

(((Hugs to you))) just remember she has peace

Rainbow Bridge
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

16. honeybears

honeybears New Member

(((Hugs to you))) just remember she has peace

Rainbow Bridge
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

17. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I'm so sorry for your loss, Gina! You did right by Izzy and she knew it - even if she was unable to show it until her last day. You are right in that this poor girl is happy now to finally be free of her demons. She will never be forgotten and you will see her again one day, only then she will be the dog she was MEANT to be, and not the dog horrible people made her be.

Jamiya

18. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

My condolences for losing such a beautiful girl. We are all here to share both the good times and the sad times. My prayers to you and your family.

19. kindness_001

kindness_001 New Member

Gina, I'm so sorry. Izzy was a beautiful dog. I hope you remember her last day always, I'm sure she will.

20. Banditsmum

Banditsmum New Member

Hi Gina. Iam so sorry to hear of your loss.I just joined this forum after i read your post. What a lucky dog she was to have found someone like you to spend the end of her life with if only more people where like you.She must be a happy angle now watching over you.
    We just had our boy put to sleep because he had liver cancer he was 10 years old and a big part of our family.
    Just rember all the good times that you had together.
    Banditsmum.