1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Info on Chinese Algea Eaters

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Esgalfey, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Esgalfey

Esgalfey New Member

I just wanted to know anything you all can tell me about Chinese Algea Eaters. I appreciate any info. I was looking at them in Petco and I was just wondering what the best type of bottom feeder to consume algea might be.

2. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

I have a CAE that's closing in on 6 inches and still growing. They can get 10-12 inches long, so I guess he's going to keep it up for a while.

He does a good job of keeping the algea under control, so good that we have to feed algea wafers now that he's gotten bigger. There just isn't enough growing to keep him satisfied.

One of the biggest complaints people have about CAEs is that they become aggressive toward the other fish in your tank, preferring to eat the slime from the sides of the fish than the algea. Ming started doing that about 2 years ago. I got so mad at him I scooped him out and put him in a Mason jar for several hours while I tried to decide what to do with him. Of course, I put him back in the tank once I cooled down, and surprise surprise! He hasn't bothered my other fish since!

I'm sure it's just a coincidence. There's no possible way he made any connection between getting stuck in a jar and pestering my fish. But whatever happened, he's been a model citizen since that time.

Now, because the aggression can be such a problem, and I doubt putting another one is a jar would have the same effect, you'd probably be better off with a couple of otocinclus. They resemble the CAE somewhat, but I don't think they get as big, nor are they as prone to aggression. And they do a good job of cleaning up algea, too.

3. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Another thing with CAE's is that as they get older a lot of them stop eating the algea so you'll have to supplement their diet with other foods.

I've found otos to be very good at getting rid of algae and, as Shine aid, they aren't as aggressive. I usually have about 1 for every 5 gallons and that ratio has been working out pretty well so far.

4. Esgalfey

Esgalfey New Member

The tag at Petco said they get up to 5 and a half inches long. My grandpa says that fish grow to fit their enviornment and that a CAG should be fine in a 20 gal because he has one in a tall 20 gal that is 8-9 inches long. True or not?

Would a CAG be okay with a couple of Gourami's in a 20 gal?

5. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Fish may only grow to their environment but that doesn't necessarily mean their healthy. I wouldn't have one in less than 30 gallons.

6. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

The tag at Petco is wrong. Ming is proof of that, as he's already reached that size and continues to grow.

As for fish growing to fit their environment, not that long ago women used to have iron 'belts' welded around their waists so they would always have a 15 inch waist. Did it work? Sure. Were they healthy? Not a chance.

If you want a fish, any fish, to be healthy, you must provide it with the best environment you can. Imagine what it's like to be a 10 inch fish in a 20 gallon aquarium. Not much different than a prison cell. You can live in one, sure. But it's not much of a life.

7. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

good analogy :y_the_best:

8. Hooben

Hooben New Member

CAE's and Pl*costomous are some of my favorite fishes. They both need the algea tablets thrown in on a regular basis, when they grow larger, or they will die! Many of these fishes could live lots of years by simply feeding them more. Algea on the glass will only get them so far, then it's up to us. Great fish, good luck with them.

9. Esgalfey

Esgalfey New Member

Okay, thanks for the info guys.