1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Injury to my piranha's forehead

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Nathanael, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Nathanael

Nathanael New Member

Hi! I noticed this morning that my 2 year old piranha has a wound right across from his eye :( . It looks like a gash. I removed the rocks in the aquarium so it wouldn't get any worse. Are there any suggestions for how I should treat the wound, such as an aneseptic that is safe for fish which I could use so it wouldn't get infected? Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening again? I appreciate any suggestions.
    -Nathanael

2. babydoll

babydoll New Member

huh well i just bought a piranha htat has only one eye cuz one of the others ibelive bit it off lol but he's ok
    the only thing fo ryou that i can sujest is that you get a solutoin now i cant remember what its called but maybe some one does but it helps protect like gold fish fins and stuff if they have been cut it sort-of coats it and helps it heal, other tahn that nothing but let it heal on its own and maybe make sure your water is clean, so there is no extra bactiria in the water

3. Fishfirst

Fishfirst New Member

A natural/safe "antibacterial" medication that would help heal your piranha's wound would be Melafix, its a tea extract that kills infectious bacteria, but doesn't distrupt the N-fixation bacteria in your tank.

4. Nathanael

Nathanael New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Do think I could buy this Melafix at a pet store? I also just found some aquarium salt for fresh water aquariums under my pile of aquarium supplies after I posted the message. It said on the back that it can help heal wounds. Do you think I could use that?

5. Fishfirst

Fishfirst New Member

Salt helps a lot, some bacteria won't survive, but Melafix usually can be found at pet stores... at least in WI we can find it fairly easy, and its good for fin rot eye cloud and other bacterial diseases. like all meds though, remove the carbon in the filtration system

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Melafix will definitely help. I had an oscar that got a quarter-sized gash that was 1/8" - 3/16" deep on his head. I treated him with Melafix every other day for 1 week and within 2 weeks it was completely healed.

A little tip: Get the pond Melafix if you can find it. It's more concentrated so it works out to be cheaper. Around here I can get a 16oz bottle of regular stuff for $13. I can also get a 16oz bottle of the pond stuff for the same price but it treats 5x as much water.

Other than that, just make sure the water is clean (0 ammonia & nitrItes, <20 nitrAtes).

-Chelle