1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Iridescent Shark / Breeding

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by fishlover, Sep 11, 2004.

1. fishlover

fishlover New Member

My Iridescent Sharks keep having babies! The problems is the babies seem to "disappear". They have delivered twice now, in the last two months! Both times I have put the little ones in the nursery, (that is in the same take as the delivery), only to check on them later and not find them. I know they are not getting out, the netting is to fine. It is almost like they disintegrate. Does anybody have any ideas as to what is happening? Is it normal for them to birth twice in such a short time span? Thanks,

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Are you sure the fry are from the iridescent sharks?

How big are yours and how big is the tank? Iridescent sharks get around 4 feet long and need at least 1000 gallons to be housed properly.

-Chelle

3. Obelix

Obelix New Member

ID's do get really big like t_chelle said so you'd be lucky not to have fry from them but as far as the fry disappearing. at such a younge age it realy wouldn't take that long for them to... discentragrate after a death.

4. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Wow! I never knew that these fish get so big, since I saw some in the paper last week at Super Pet for like $3.00 and they looked very very very tiny.

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/pa ... /172_f.php

They are also very skittish and prefer to be in groups. I've heard of iridescent sharks killing themselves by running into the sides of tanks. One of the LFS's here had one that was about 12" (someone dumped it off there) and it had a constant sore on the tip of its snout from rubbing & banging on the glass.

-Chelle

6. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Speaking of dumping someone left 4 bags in a radio flyer wagon infront of RICKS (Pets shop) one with a MONSTEROUS Pacu in it and an oscar each for the otehrs... :roll:

7. Nameless

Nameless New Member

The ppl at the lfs either don't know how big they get or don't care and just want to sell them.

8. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Unforintally for must places its the ladder, money takes presidence over life but if you'r ever in Maryland then check out ricks becuase its really awsome in their and hes actually denied people fish that have made it clear they don't have the proper setup's. Like people walking out with a 20 gallon in one arm and a oscar in the other. Its sad but its a money market.