1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Is a id shark suitable for the home aquarium ?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by bast1981, Jun 3, 2006.

1. bast1981

bast1981 New Member

Hello,

My favortire freshwater fish is the id shark. It's a shark look a like fish. I like true marine shark but as those fish are better off in the ocean. I prefer having a looka like only. Although i've met someone who keep a nurse shark into a 500 gallon tank in her home. A fish that can get to 12 feet. So why should i feet bad about thinking about keeping a id shark that gets only 3 to 4 feet. :?:

Everybody is saying that it's not suitable for the home aquarium and that you need a swiming pool to keep one. So i would like your adivce. I am planning on buying a 48" tank. I know it's really not enough but i gonna upgrade the tank as the fish grow. Would a 4 feet tank be ok for some time ?

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Absolutely not. Just because you know someone with a huge fish in a horribly small tank, that doesn't make it any better for you to do it.

Not only do iridescent sharks get huge (4 feet long as you know), they are very fast, active swimmers and prefer to be kept in groups. They also grow fairly quickly (it will mostly likely outgrow a 4' tank in under a year). To properly house iridescent sharks, a tank should be at least 1 1/2x their body length wide (6 feet), 4x their body length long (16 feet long) and 3/4x their body length tall (3 feet). That would work out to over 2000 gallons and I would consider the bare minimum and still quite cramped.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Serioulsy, that fish has almost no place in the aquarium/fish keeping hobby.

-Chelle

3. bast1981

bast1981 New Member

Thanks for your replies. I saw a custom made tank for freshwater shark in a petstore. The tank was like cylindral. The tank was 8 feet wide by 4 feet high or something like that. It holds something like 1000 gallon of water.

So yes is it a pool as you can stand inside and bath inside.

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Iridescent sharks would need long & wide tanks. Put it in a cylindrical tank and all it could do is swim in circles (it would probably end up killing itself by running into the glass). That tank would be TOTALLY unsuitable for an iridescent shark.

Like a said before, if you wanted to be able to properly keep an iridescent shark, you really should have a tank no shorter than 16 feet long and 6 feet wide (in this case, dimensions & shape are more important than actual water volume - although to have the proper dimensions, there would be a LOT of water).

-Chelle