1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

IS baby lovebird sick?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by ARIS, Mar 30, 2006.

1. ARIS

ARIS New Member

Hi
    I have been hand feeding a baby lovebird for about 2 months now. So that makesit a little over 2 months old, all the black is gone from the beak, and it is fully feathered. It still wants formula and I hardly see it eating solid food, it never wants to play and always sits in it's heating blanket, I took it a way fro a while but it looked misserable, anyway I hardly ever hear it chirp, except to get fed or be held, all it wants to do is snuggle under your hand or in a shirt. and it's poop is always watery, clear most of the time with a little string of solid. This is by far, not anything like my 5 month old lovie who plays, chirps and is a bal to be around. If the baby is sick, it must not be contagious because they both are in the same cage, but it is split. They have contact with eachother. What could be wrong with the baby? PLease help I am very attached to the lit.

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi, how many times per day are you handfeeding the little one as now he/she should be eating on there own, At 2months old a bird that is fully feathered does not need a heat source so you can take away his/her heat pad.

Reduce handfeeding to once a day and try putting some millet spray in your hand for him/her to try.

Here is a website that will explain the whole handfeeding and weaning process of lovebirds.

Hope this helps

http://www.parrotparrot.com/lovebirds/handfeed.htm

Mike

3. ARIS

ARIS New Member

re: baby lovebird sick

hi thanks, I know what u are talking about, I have done this, he just refuses to eat. The breeder is going to take him for the weekend to see what she can do, since she had this happen before. Thanks for your advice. :oops:

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

We have a peachfaced lovebird and he/she is so funny, Very hand tame well until you go to put it back in the cage then thats it, it then becomes a game of catch me if you can heheheheh.

Hopefully the breeder will be able to get him/her weaned like i say for little parrots they have a huger personality.

Mike

5. ARIS

ARIS New Member

the poor baby lovebird

hi again, yes I know lovebirds are too funny. My two ate dutch blues. I also have a black masked who was flight raised and it just untouchable, The older dutch one is a riot. I can't believe how attached one can get, but I love them very much. I knew this behavior was odd since I have hand raised budgies and I also raise ring neck doves, cornix quail and button quail. I hope this little guy pulls through! thanks for your help