1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

is cat panting normal?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by bellack1, May 31, 2007.

1. bellack1

bellack1 New Member

So I know dogs pant regularly but what about cats? Halie used to pant on car rides and I figured it was just because she was stressed out. Now Cocoa pants on some car rides and I thought the same but now she's panting in the bedroom while she's playing. Its 82 degrees in here because we haven't put in the window unit yet. She drank some water but she's still panting. I wish she would slow down and relax but she keeps running around playing like all kittens do. IS this normal? Do you have experiences with cats panting?

<3 Christina

2. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

I think cats pant when they're hot or stressed. I've seen kitties pant but can't remember when or why. Hopefully someone else will know more about it.

3. faeriedust1127

faeriedust1127 New Member

To my knowledge, what Sunset said is true. Cats pant when stressed or overheated. It helps them to cool down, just like when you watch the nature shows with lions laying around panting in the heat. My cat is a VERY active player and when she gets ahold of those little catnip mice she can go for hrs and wear herself out to the point of panting also. Your kitty sounds normal to me.

4. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. It sounds like she's just hot. Perhaps once the temp cools down in your place the panting will subside. My cats have also panted when they were hot.

5. vene

vene New Member

I think Cocoa overexerted herself playing and running around. Milo and Venus used to do that too when they were kittens and outgrew the panting and the excessive playtime. :mrgreen:

6. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Jay pants after runnning like a maniac out the back yard LOL, he's a nutter out there, bolting from one end of the yard to another. :lol:

7. bellack1

bellack1 New Member

She seems to do it even if her exercise isnt excessive. It seems to happen when its 80 degrees or more. I just put in the window a/c's yesterday so it probably wont happen too much anymore. :wink: