1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

is it a good or a bad idea to not fix a boy yorkie?

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by tigger_lover_17, Mar 17, 2005.

1. tigger_lover_17

tigger_lover_17 New Member

hey i was just wondering if it was a good or bad idea to breed a boy yorkie. We got a little boy mortie (yorkie malteze mix) and we are not sure whether to breed him or not because if we dont fix him will he want to run away and lift his leg when peeing? Someone said that if even if we didnt get him fixed he would stay the same and not want to run away and be a good boy. but i dont know if that is the whole truth. So, will you please tell me as soon as possible thanks!

~Tigger_lover_17~

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

The problem you would run into with an unfixed male would be marking in the house. Some male dogs will lift their leg eventhough they are neutered. My previous dog and the one I have now were both neutered. My Cairn would always lift his leg but my yorkie I have now hardly ever does.

Un-neutered dogs also run the risk of getting testicular cancer and you also have the risk of him getting out and getting other female dogs pregnant.

3. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

A male dog can pick up the scent of a female dog in heat for about a 5 mile radius, if he's not neurtered he will want to find the female, and if theres a way to get out he probably will take off.

4. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Besides testicular cancer, intact males also suffer a greater incidence of enlarged prostate or prostate cancer. If he manages to escape while looking for that brazen hussy, he runs a great risk of being hit by a car, attacked by other male dogs also looking for that brazen hussy, and shot by the brazen hussy's owner. There's also a possibility of contracting brucellosis, a doggy STD, from that brazen hussy.

The only reason to keep him intact is if you intend to breed him. And the only reasons to breed him are that he's a stellar example of dogdome, he's had and passed all the health tests, such as CERF testing, there are homes lined up for the pups BEFORE you breed, and you intend to be co-responsible (along with the owner of the female) for all the puppies he's fathered, from birth to death. How would you feel if you found out one or more of his pups ended up in the pound, put to death because no one wanted it?

5. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

I agree with the above posters
    A male will also act completely different if there is a female in season near. He may stop eating and become very vocal.
    I have a neutered male and the only time he has ever lifted his leg was when my sisters poodle marked our couch.

6. Rene

Rene New Member

I fixed my yorkie boy last year i also have a female that is going in soon. When she was in season sebastain drove me crazy with the whining, barking them fighting drove me nuts. Sebastain has always lifted his leg since the first day i got him (at 6 weeks old) I would fix him better to be safe then sorry.

lol @ brazen hussy

7. daisy0802

daisy0802 New Member

It's a good idea to neuter him. If he gets out he could get a female pregnant that got out for the same reason, because her owners didn't do the smart thing and spay her. :roll: I'm not sure why everyone gets their dog spayed or neutered if they're not being used for specific breeding! :| I only costs about $50. sometimes a little more

8. daisy0802

daisy0802 New Member

why everyone ~DOESN'T~ get their dog spayed or neutered if they're not being used for specific breeding.

9. lil96

lil96 New Member

your dog is a mut (I have a mut too, so no offense) but that = dog should not reproduce nomatter how cute friendly awesome any thing else it is, there are too many homeless muts out there, don't contribute. You need to think more about that than him peeing on stuff, justimagine 3 or 4 others peeing all over the place too/
    but it is healthier to get it done too.
    so please for the sake of your dog, get him desexed.
    If money is an issue somewhere on here is a list of free or low cost vets

10. mumofmany

mumofmany New Member

I've been on both sides of the coin, so to speak. I used to have a pair of wonderful yorkies. I allowed them to breed twice, and they produced seven beautiful pups out of those two litters. After her second lot of pups, I got her neutered, as I think it's cruel to just use bitches as a breeding machine.

Having said that, I now have a bichon frise. He came to us as a naughty and a bit aggressive four year old. He lived with a Maltese bitch in this other house, and they together had 25 pups! They're the ones his past owners know about.
    I felt so sorry for the bitch. She should never have been bred, as she has an overbite, and ALL the puppies inherited it. That's just plain cruel. :cry:

We got Jackson (the bichon frise) two years ago, and got him de-sexed right away. He is now a very loving, sweet natured, cuddly boy. we love him to pieces, and he loves us as much.

Think of your dog. Don't concider the $$$ involved.
    By the way, my neutered male still pees up trees. :wink:

11. LadyT

LadyT New Member

I need to get my Yorkie Poo fixed, so at what age should I go to the vet for that? He is 6 months.

12. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

While it's always best to discuss when to neuter or spay with your vet, most dogs can be neutered at 6 months unless there's a medical reason to wait.

13. LadyT

LadyT New Member

ok, thanks Dreamer is going to the vet tomorrow morning.