1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Is It Ok To............

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by pauldredge, Jan 28, 2005.

1. pauldredge

pauldredge New Member

is it ok to take some of my stones that are at the bottom of the tank out as i feel i have way to much in there. i put as much as it told me to in the thing i got with my tank and it said to put it 5cm deep but as time has gone on i can see the muck in the stones and i want to take som out as i have way too many sitting in there.

if i did would this harm the fish at all? cud i just put my hand in and grap a handful of stones and take them out?

2. gravity

gravity New Member

The 'muck' on the bottom of your tank means you need to clean your tank and really has no bearing on the amount of rocks you should have. It's ok to take the stones out if you'd like, but your cories like to dig around so I wouldn't remove any.

You need a gravel vacuum. They're about $15 American. Since you won't return any of your fish, you're going to have to invest $$$ in caring for your tank. The longer you leave the 'muck' at the bottom, the more ammonia is introduced into your tank, and the more poisonous it is for your fish. Since you already have way too many fish in your tank, this is very serious.

Your watching something play out exactly as you've already been told it would. You really need to do something about it.

3. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

as above, and also, if you take more substrate out (gravel) then your live plants, if you have any wont root down and they'll constantly move, even with led weight and then you will have your hands in there constantly! and this will stress your fish more.

they more fish you havem, the more care you need to take of your tank.

More fish, harder work, unfortunatly!

take care.

Amy.
    x

4. Ellie

Ellie New Member

The muck is old food and poop,lots of fish like it like that but when it starts to really bild up you should clean it.

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Actually you should clean up all that muck pretty often. As it breaks down it will result in increased nitrAtes (and possibly increased ammonia) which is very dangerous in an already overstocked tank.

-Chelle

6. tyler_medeiros

tyler_medeiros New Member

I went over to my friends house the other ady and noticed his fish tank.
    There were 19 goldfish and Koi int the tank. All ranging from 2" to 6" .
    The tank is only a 75 gallon. Is that to many???

7. gravity

gravity New Member

Considering you should provide at least 20 gallons per goldfish, yes, he has WAY too many goldfish. Koi get huge and aren't really suited to most tanks.

8. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

i agree......koi's can get a few feet long and are only suitable most of the time in a pond....unless he is using the tank for the winter, but even then it is still overstocked

9. tyler_medeiros

tyler_medeiros New Member

yes his tank is only used for the winter. i helped build his pond and they are only in it from april until september or october.