1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Is it worth it

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Angel, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Angel

Angel New Member

Hi hope you haven't forgotten me but I am Angel. I know I haven't been on much but any way. Do you reacon that it is worth trying to get my cat to do tricks. The tricks I would like my cat to do are, Sit, Stay and Come.I know they are the basics for a dog. So do you reacon that my cat would actually learn to do these tricks in time. Or do you reacon it is not worth all the trouble. :D

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I hate to come across as rude - but could you change your font color? I can't read it :lol:
    eyes aren't what they used to be

3. halaroo

halaroo New Member

I'm sure it will be difficult, but all the time you get to spend teaching her tricks will be worth the effort, in my opinion! I say go for it.

I also find your font colour difficult to read. I had to highlight it with my mouse so I wouldn't strain my eyes.

4. eman

eman New Member

i think it is possible, if u know how..
    i never thought i could train my cats to do anything but they surprised me.
    Mini gives me high fives now as soon as i say give me five!
    she also stands on her back legs only when i say UP!
    it took only one day for her to learn, but 2 weeks to master.
    I use treats at first, but after 2 weeks she does it without treats.
    Not all cats learn the same way. i tried teaching Max the same way i taught Mini, but he didnt learn at all. each cat is different.
    i find that cats will do anything for a treat they love. u just have to give it to them the second they do the trick, cuz if u wait few seconds, they will not associate the treat with what they did. and then keep repeating until u feel that ur cat understands what is happening. cuz if u do it few times only, and then try the next day..u will find that the cat forgot what it was supposed to do.
    Good Luck!

eman

5. faeriedust1127

faeriedust1127 New Member

It takes a little patience at first, but it's definitely possible! :D

Here's my kitty doing a couple of hers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOGWp-3IE2Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbJ-iFMvlSk

So far she does: sit, up, lay down, roll-over, paw, hop-up, get down, and say please. Maybe one of these days when life isn't so hectic and i have more time to spend with her i will teach her to "dance" and "play dead" :mrgreen:

6. Angel

Angel New Member

Well thanks for those ideas. Also I will change my font colour. I will do another colour and make sure you can read it. :y_the_best:

7. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

Sure, why not give it a try? I taught Booger to fetch and my hubby laughed at me when I was traning her and was amazed when she finally 'got' it.

And eman is right about the treats, you have to have the treat ready the second they do the trick or they won't associate the treat with the behavour.

And remember that all cats are different, just like dogs. Some will take to doing tricks and others just won't. But it's sure worth a try! And the up-side is the positive interaction between you and your kitty. They're very social creatures and love interactivity.

8. vene

vene New Member

It's hard work but sounds like lots of fun! If you have the time, go for it! Eman, Faeriedust, and Cassie, I'm so impressed! My cats have me trained instead- feed them, treat them, play with them, etc. on demand. :mrgreen: