1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Is petting a fish bad? Will it harm the fish?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Trickster, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Im asking this because when i cleaned my Goldfish countainer (He was bought as a feeder and still very small About 1.5 inches) I petted with my finger last night, and my brother did with his aswell, the next mourning we both wake up to dead goldfish! Is this because we petted them? I need to know before i try petting my betta (1 trick im teaching him is not to fear human hands and allow petting). I dont want to kill my betta aswell.

Extra info: My goldfish was living on crunched up betta flakes (only food i had)
    And he had a damage top fin.

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

since he ws a feeder, he is dead prob due to a disease. i have pet my flowerhorns before, but doing it too much can be bad. the reason behind this is because petting the fish too much can wear off the fishes natural slime-coat

3. Trickster

Trickster New Member

4. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi Trickster, As grnlemonade said, petting them too much can rub their slime coating off, causing them to fungus. Just petting them once shouldn't cause any problem and would take longer than over night for any thing life threatening. The damaged dorsal fin could have been fin rot a type of fungus. Also, I don't know the makeup of the Betta Flakes but some foods like brine shrimp can cause Goldfish to become blocked up (constipated), and can lead to death of the fish.

5. Pacuguy

Pacuguy New Member

its ok to pet them once and awhile, but i would wait till your fish is full grown because fish are more hardy when they reach maturity.
    I pet my 18" pacus everytime i clean the tank(about once a week). They expect it now im sure!

6. Trickster

Trickster New Member

thx, how big does a betta get, and what kind of fish is yours? the 1 u pet...

7. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

how big does a betta get? usually when u buy them at fishstores they are at there max. size because they are sold usually when they are around 1 year old. and i belive pacuguy is talking aobut petting a pacu.