1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Is she pregnant ??

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Auspetian, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Auspetian

Auspetian Administrator Staff Member

Hi all,

Just wondering whether my platy is pregnant. She looks a bit bloated. I included a few pictures. Your comments are much appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hooben

Hooben New Member

Auspetian,
    I think that she is pregnant, congratulations. Nice looking fish.
    Time will tell, she should be getting much fatter in the next few days!
    :idea: Keep us posted.

3. Auspetian

Thanks Hooben ! :idea:

I will post a few more pictures within a couple of days. We don't want to miss the birth (or any of the fry) so we are following her really closely. My young daughter in particular :lol: .

I've got the hatchery tank ready. What do you think, should i transfer her already or is it still too early?.......approx how long is it from this stage to the actual main event ?.

4. shochie

shochie New Member

congrat's! ur fish is having a baby soon.

5. Hooben

Hooben New Member

Be careful with those hatchery holding tanks. They can scare a mother fish literally to death. You're probably looking at another week. My guppys usually give birth at night, so look for the mother to get small. If that happens, check around your plastic or real plants for little baby fry. You can scoop up the fry with a net and put them safely in the hatchery.
    Good luck!

6. arcticfox

arcticfox New Member

Hi it does indeed look as if your tank population is about to increase shortly,about putting the fish into the isolation tank it depends on whether you want to keep the fry or not,the more fish in your tank the less chance you will have of that happening if you dont isolate,the young are very minute when born and quickly eaten by other fish although one or two might survive if your tank has plenty of hiding places,good luck in whatever you choose :lol:

7. Auspetian

Thanks guy's.

Still no news.

Re: "hatchery holding tanks". Thanks for the warning Hooben. I was thinking hatchery tank because she is currently in the big tank (4f) with about 8 more different tropical species, 3 African cichlids included :0009: (yes i know they shouldn't be together but the cichlids are very small, less then one inch long - electric yellows, pretty timid). They all seem to get along together fine.

Going to move her (and the male) to a smaller 2ft tank with lots of plants in and pass on the hatchery tank. I did more reading about it. You're right, seems to be more trouble then help with this type of fish.

8. Hooben

Hooben New Member

Yes, in the long run those cichlids will reak havok. We keep our guppies in a 100 liter tank with a very gentle flow from an undergravel filter, power head. That size is good for mollies, guppies and we keep ghost shrimp too.
    Lots of plants and you will have survivors for sure.