1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Is stress coat ok for goldfish?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Libba, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Libba

Libba New Member

I am having some issues with my goldfish tank and I went to the local pet store today and got some meds but the lady asked if I used stress coat and I said yes and she said it was not good for goldfish. She said the aloe was not good for them. I have never heard this before, so I was wondering if anyone had heard this too. :?:

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I've heard some people say stress coat can clog up their gills, but I also know people who use it all the time w/o any problems. I know it's not a great answer, but that's all I can offer.

Also, what problem are you having with your goldfish?

-Chelle

3. Libba

Libba New Member

Well, I am down to 3 goldfish from about 12. :( I dont know what is killing them I have tried all sorts of meds and no improvement. It all started with what appeared to be ich. So, I treated for ich but whatever it is, is getting worse. The fins are disentagrating. The fish are listless and barely alive. The mouth on one of them is rotting away. I have done water changes and still no improvement. At first I treated with some ich meds then did a partial water change then I used quick cure then did a partial water change then I tried pimafix and now I am trying maracyn-two. If this doesnt help them I am tempted to flush them, I can not bare to watch them suffer.

4. gravity

gravity New Member

Well, that sounds like it's a combination of problems. Yikes. I do know, however, that you should continue the treatments with whatever medicine you decide to use, not try it for a day or two and then jump to something else.

Follow the directions on whatever you're currently using and use it exactly how they say to use it. Usually for a week or so.

5. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I agree, if you started the first med the same day you first posted then in 5 days you've tried 4 different meds. Sounds like you're not giving the meds enough time to work.

Also, the meds you're using could be reacting with the other meds and can make the problem in you tank worse.

You said that you were down to 3 goldfish from 12. What size is your tank? Goldfish aren't know to be the cleanest (waste wise) so their immune system could be supressed from poor water quality.

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte?

It does sound like a bacterial infection so keep up with the M2 and treat for the full period that the instructions say to.

And I'm sure you where just speaking out of frustration, but just in case, NEVER FLUSH LIVE FISH. That's probably one of the worst possible ways for them to die.

-Chelle

7. Libba

Libba New Member

Yes you are most definitely right I would never flush a live fish. As for trying different meds, this is in about 2 and a half week span of time. Its not like I expected miracles, but with no improvement what was I supposed to do? The directions said to look for rapid improvement and after 4 days with no change I thought maybe I had the wrong meds. As for the cleanliness of the tank I have plenty of filtration for the 55gal tank. I have a canister filter with ammo chips only and a double whisper filter with carbon which was removed becasue of the meds. The reading for ammonia was negative and the nitrites and nitrates were with in the acceptable range on the test strip.

Well, thanks for all of the advice. Hopefully this will clear up soon.

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

What where the exact numbers for the nitrIte and nitrAte?

-Chelle

9. Libba

Libba New Member

The nitrites are zero and nitrates are 20.

10. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

iv never had any probs with stress coat, if your runing out of otions then use it, but you need to check the other parts of your tank as above.

i hope it gets better.

xx

11. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Okay, those are fine. I'd just keep up with the M2.

-Chelle

12. Libba

Libba New Member

OK thanks for the advice. As of this afternoon I have 2 left. It is so sad to see them suffering and I have tried all I know to do. I am continuing with the M2 meds.