1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Itchy, Stinky Shih tzu

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by kimieloub, Jul 20, 2005.

1. kimieloub

kimieloub New Member

I have a one yr old female shih tzu that has a very strange odor when she is
    being bathed. It smells like a hair perm smells, like a rotten egg smell. The odor subsides after she is dry. She is bathed in an hypo-allergenic itch releif shampoo recommended by our vet. The vet prescribed hydroxyzine for itching, but didn't help that much. Benadryl seems to her more than the prescription. She has been on Solid Gold dog food for about two months and that seems to have helped the itching tremendously. I also give her about a teaspoon of flax seed oil with her food. When we got her at six months she was constantly scratching, but that has tapered off quite a bit. She has a very soft, white coat and her skin is a healthy pink color. I'm just concerned with the skin odor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Is there any chance its her anal glands?

3. kimieloub

kimieloub New Member

She is groomed about every 6 to 8 wks and the vet empties them beforehand. I guess it could be. Could they fill up that quickly?

4. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Yes they can fill up that quick. Have you asked the vet why he/she needs to empty them manually? sometimes its a diet thing, stool isnt hard enough to express them while pooping. Sometimes they just dont work right (more common in smaller dogs) Are they getting infected or just filling up?

5. kimieloub

kimieloub New Member

They are just filling up. I read that it may be beneficial to add a small amount of pumpkin in with her food( about a teaspoon) for the fiber. Has anyone ever done this, and did it help?

6. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

One of the vets I used to work with advised many clients to do this, it did work. Just about a small spoonful of canned pumpkin in the food daily.

Just make sure your pup doesnt become constipated, if you see any signs of the stool becoming very hard then stop for a day or 2, start up again then with a smaller amount or just use it everey other day.

7. kimieloub

kimieloub New Member

Thanks, I really appreciate your help. I feel much better about feeding the pumpkin!