1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I've had my first breakthrough

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Aqueous, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Today when I got home from work I was putting a toy in the cage with the newbies and my dad called me so I was talking to him with my hand in the cage and all of a sudden I feel this weight on my hand. I look down and see the little blue (vicious :shock: - my finger looks like I got attacked by a vampire and that was just taking it out of the box! ) budgie on my hand.

Well it let me take it out of the cage (I was actually trying to get my hand back with minimal damage :| ) but it was still a little nippy so I spent a couple minutes getting it to stop. It caught on to that pretty quickly to the point where it sat on my hand and let me stroke it's chest and back for a good 20-25 minutes without flying off.

I'm so happy! I think it's going to turn out to be a great pet, it reminds me of when I brought Kiwi home :D (and Kiwi's my favorite, but shh... don't tell the others!)

2. drab911

drab911 New Member

wow that was pretty quick, didnt you just bring them home like yesterday? Were they arleady hand trained?
    My little girl will let me put my hand right up to her and kinda stroke her belly but she doesnt step up.. when I put pressure into her chest she runs away, no biting though.. am I on the right path? Just keep introducing my finger and perches until she steps up? I am soooo eager to get her to get onto my finger so I can start letting her out of the cage... Or do you think I should risk it on my day off and let her out hoping she will go back on her own when she gets hungry?

3. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I don't think they were hand trained before. The girl at the pet store took almost 10 minutes trying to get them out of the cage and when I brought th home the blue one would bite so hard. I guess it just had a change of heart.

Sound like you're on the right path.

Are her wings clipped? If they're not I wouldn't risk it. If she's not used to getting on your hand she could do some possibly serious damage to herself trying to get away.

4. drab911

drab911 New Member

No her wings are not clipped and I really would like to not clip them if at all possible... so I guess i will just wait until she steps up before letting her out.. better safe then sorry