1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

jumping

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by heaven, May 17, 2004.

1. heaven

heaven New Member

i'm having a big problem with my puppy jumping on people who come in contact with her. she gets so excited and jumps on them and can't seem to get control of herself. we've tried the knee in the chest move and it does nothing with her. she's 6 months old and 50 pds already so it's not cute at all....she's doesn't realize her own strength and she hurts....any advise would be so very welcome

2. Laura05

Laura05 New Member

You could also try the LIGHTLY stepping on its hind foot when it is jumping on you. They hate that. The knee in the chest didnt work for our Anna either. She still jumps but now she only does it when invited to do so.

3. Laura05

Laura05 New Member

make sure that what ever type of training you use.. to use voice commands with it ... like down.. or stop... or something like that.

4. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

The best thing is to take her to a training class .
    voice commands are the best way trsin and I am sure a class will help to deal with all these issues .

5. Laura05

Laura05 New Member

In my life time I have owned about 8 dogs... :shock: yikes! I have never taken any of them to training class. I like the challenge of training them my self... crazy huh? lol I did manage to teach one to pull a sled! He was exceptionaly smart though. :D

I am not saying that classes are a bad idea.. in fact for some - especially people with limited time.. are a good thing! But I also think that if you read enough books and have the time you can train your pooch just as well as a class can. I hope someday to train a horse from birth!! Yes I day dream alot!! :p

6. nern

nern New Member

With some practice I think you can easily train her out of this. I would find some friends or family if possible that would be willing to participate and practice having them (introduce her to someone different every day or 2) meet her while only giving her attention when she is in a sit. I would keep her on a leash so you have more control over her. When approaching the person have your dog "sit" and do not allow her any attention until she is sitting. If she attempts to jump you can either stop her using the leash or have the person she is greeting turn their back and ignore her. Natalie used to jump all over me when I would come in the house. I started giving her the "sit" command and would ignore her or turn my back if she tried to jump up on me. I would only pet her if she was sitting. This seemed to work well because now she sits automatically when I walk in.

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I agree with Nern. It can be very difficult to ignore a 50 pound dog jumping on you, though, so if you can't do this you should set up the situation with one person holding (or stepping on) a leash while the other practices coming into the house. Both of you totally ignore the dog until it is sitting quietly. I have actually read that you don't want to give the sit command - that eventually the dog will sit on his own and THAT is when you give the treat and praise. It may take some time, but the dog WILL sit. Repeat this process over and over again with new people and new situations.

In the meantime, when you come home alone, you can make it a point to always have a treat with you (carry some in your pocket or leave some outside the door or something). When you walk in the door, toss the treat across the room so the dog will run and get it and not jump on you! Then you can get a leash if you need to and practice not jumping up.

As far as training classes go - I like to go to a puppy class with a new puppy, more for the socializing aspect that the training. Even if you take a dog to a training class, the majority of the work you have to do at home. The benefits are the interaction with other dogs and people, and being able to ask a trainer how to do things. Be sure you find a POSITIVE trainer, though.

I also think an obedience class for an older dog can be useful. When they already are performing well at home, it is a good place to practice with the distractions of other dogs.

Jamiya