1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Just for fun, curious.

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by DeLaUK, Oct 1, 2005.

1. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

What little 'quirks' or routines do your dogs have? not something you have intentionally taught them, more just things they seem to do by themselves?

Ive been watching my paranoid dog closely since I got her, just picking up on what her 'normal' personality is like when shes not being terrified of life in general. She's a crack up, some of the things she does are really funny.

I often put her toys, chews etc on the couch as she will come up and sit with me in the evenings...occasionally... and thats probably our best/easiest bonding time. However when she gets up off the couch and goes into her bed she will come back and take every one of her 'items' and place them in the bed with her, then she pause, looks at her crate will pick a few off her bed and take to her crate, then back to her bed, picks one out and jumps back on the couch, so cute....Im hoping its not signs of an obsessive compulsive disorder :shock:

The other thing she does, I spend a lot of time during the day in the office, she tends to stay in the living room, lately she has clicked on to certain TV shows that I watch during the week, I dont watch too much TV but I like a couple of UK soaps that are on, as soon as the music for Coronation Street, Eastenders, Emmerdale or the Paul O'Grady show come on, she runs to the office and looks at me then runs back into the living room, jumps onto the couch and we sit and watch our show :D if I dont come in straight away she will pace back and forth until I get up out of the office chair.

2. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Every time I let the girls out of their kennels for "play time" Precious bolts out of the kennel take s look around, runs ina HUGE circle, goes back to her kennel gets her favorite squirl shaped kong toy and bolts back out... She'll run like a wild banshee for about 10 minutes taunting Buki to chase her. Then she'll settle down and act like a prim and propper girl on patorl of cats...

Buki on the other hand, will casually walk out of the kennel, then Bolt after Precious...Only, she takes the toys and hides them ALL from Precious....

Every time Buki drinks, no matter how big or small the water area, weather its a cup, or a swimming pool, she HAS to put a foot in the water!!!

3. Maisey

Maisey New Member

I guess Witt's odd ball thing is that whenever he goes poop, he comes back in and is instant cutting/reining dog...he tears it up in the family room celebrating his having pooped. It's now our routine, when we see that he has done number two, whoever is letting him out will holler to clear the room. Annie doesn't like his dramatic scene and will try to start crud with him.

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

LOL!! Tubby the Chi does the same thing!! She goes on the potty pad inside the laundry room (cuz the big dogs try to eat her when she goes outside, she lives at moms) and she'll go potty, then zoom around with the crazies!!! I guess cuz she knows she's gonna get a chicken jerky treat for doing it? Mom praises her heavily when she poo's on the potty pad. She'll pee, but every so often she'l poop somewhere else...

Chi's are harder to train and revert on their training alot. Not to meantion she's jsut a baby. She'll be 1 yrs old on Nov 11th!

5. DMikeM

DMikeM New Member

Dowser spins in circles any time he wants something.
    Duncan sits and waves his paws at me for attention. He has done it since before I got him from the pet store @ 6 weeks old. It was the reason I picked him. When we saw him in the Pen he was sitting all by himself in the corner and I touched his head to get him to turn my way. Once he turned around he sat up and put his paws up at me like "please Mister pick me up and take me home" so I did.
    Here is a video of him around a year old doing his wav trick.

http://rapidshare.de/files/5711374/DuncanDvx.avi.html

6. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

Brie does not generally play with toys. But when I get up in the morning or come home from work, she grabs a squeaky toy and runs around with it. It's really cute since she doesn't play.

Zoey will bark at me while I'm fixing their food...ok, that's kinda annoying. Like she's telling me what to do or something lol.

7. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Rocky had a squeaky toy that he always leaves outside of his crate. When it's time for bed he'll run up with it and then place it by the door before going in. If you put it in with him he'll toss it out with his nose before you shut the door like he's trying to say "I'm a big boy now, I don't need to sleep with my toys, mommy!"

My little sister watches a show called "Art Attack" (where they teach kids how to make different types of arts and crafts) and since Rocky was a puppy he's taken quite a disliking to the host. When my sister watches it Rocky will sit in complete silence until the host starts talking and then its like a war as to who can talk louder.

8. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

When my daughters dog BJ lived with me there were 4 or 5 other dogs there, thats a lot of dogs to keep in water so the bowls were constanty being filled up.
    Most of the other dogs, if it was empty would sniff it and walk away, one of them would bark at it occasionally but not BJ, she would pick it up, bring it into the living room and throw it at me :shock:

9. ilovemycockatiels

ilovemycockatiels New Member

My puppy is also a crack up. She tends to, for absolutely no reason, run in circles around my coffee table in my living room, run to my room onto my bed, out of my room and back around the table a couple more times. Another thing she does is when we are gone and she is at home with no-one to watch her, we put toys in my room and leave her in there. Whenever she sees us take all her toys in there she tends to follow me and carry them back out into the living room just to make sure they aren't in that room, not to play with them. lol

Ashley

10. boditosabear

boditosabear New Member

bodi goes into the garden and plucks cherry tomatoes off the vine he cracks them open and juice and seeds run down his chin. I am trying to not let him eat too many. I think training him to stay out of the garden will be hard next year.

11. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti New Member

lol. when i play with my two brittanys we have a stuffed duck called "ducky" and both of them know what that is and will go and find it, when snickers gets it, which is rare, she jumps on the trampoline (ranger knows they're not allowed, not to mention he hasn't figured out how to get up there) and teases him, standing just far enough back that he can't reach it, lol.

12. nern

nern New Member

LOL! Natalie does this too but not only when she poops, its everytime she comes back in from going to the bathroom. :mrgreen:

I used to go online right before bed and then I would shut down the computer and let Natalie outside for the last time. AOL says "Goodbye" when I sign off and this quickly became Natalie's cue for going outside. Wherever she was once she heard "goodbye" she would get up and go to the back door.
    She also seemed to pick up on bed time and would stand at my bedroom door waiting to be let in as I began cleaning up and getting ready to go to bed.

13. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Olsen only runs or spins counter-clockwise when he's playing. If he has to poo, he'll spin, sniff his backside, and sneeze. He also sneezes before he poos outside.

He also listens to the TV, and knows when it's dinner time by what show we're watching. When the news is over he runs and puts himself in his kennel because it's time to eat.

At night he picks his toys up and puts them in his toy basket. But if I pick up toys during the day he teases me with them. For example I was getting ready to do some serious cleaning, so I put his toys away. I went to get the vaccum and when I came back there was a toy in the middle of the carpet. Olsen was no where to be found. I picked the toy up and plugged in the vaccum. When I turned around the same toy was in the middle of the carpet. This went on for almost an hour. Whenever I turned away he'd dart out from his hiding place, put the toy in the same spot, and dart back out of the way.

He sits on my shoulder when I'm reading...not exactly comfortable for me, he weighs 25 pounds. If I take Kim outside he waits by the door until she comes back in, then snatches up a toy and runs circles around her. If she gets a toy, he runs underneath her and snatches the toy out of her mouth before she knows what's up.

But Kim get's back at him, too. She'll take all his toys in a pile and lay on top of them.

14. ilovemycockatiels

ilovemycockatiels New Member

Hi I saw that you said your dog knows how to put it's toys away ion a basket. Is there any way to teach that on command? Or does it just come naturally? At least if it comes naturally you know that your dog wants to be organized lol. I want to teach my dog how to clean up after herself, we are always tripping over her toys. Thanks for any advice

15. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

When Nala wants to come inside after playing in the yard, she used to hurl herself at the back door. After breaking the glass in the storm door twice, I finally taped a plastic carpet runner thingy with the pointy side out to it so she would not crash into it anymore. Now when she wants to come inside, she goes to one of the other windows and puts her paws up on it and peers inside, looking for us. So there you are watching TV and suddenly there is a dog staring in the window at you. It's hilarious.

She will also look in all the other windows if no one is in the family room. If she sees you in the kitchen window, she will hurl herself against the side of the house, sort of banking off of it. It makes a huge CRASH sound.

Lately, Bonnie has decided that Chomper and Nala are crazy. If the two of them start wrestling around inside, I go to the door to let them out. Bonnie darts outside, Nala and Chomper roll and tumble their way after her and take off into the yard. Bonnie takes one look at them, looks back at me, and hurries back inside. It's like she's the decoy, luring them outside.

Nala also knows that when it's getting close to bedtime, I always say "oookay" a special way and she will bolt up from what looked like a dead sleep and dance around. Apparently, she likes going to bed.

16. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti New Member

lol jamiya, she broke the window twice?

since ranger was little, whenever we go out front to play i have always said "let's go outside" which means we're going to the backyard now. now, when i say that, if he has gotten all of his energy out, he runs to the gate and waits for me to get snickers and head back there. if he still has some energy, he'll run a few laps around the yard, maybe check the kitty hiding place, and then head to the gate.

17. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

Indy's "quirks" - there are many.

Most notably, every time he comes inside he runs and picks up whatever he sees first. I know this is from when he was little, he was a biter and I finally taught him that if he wanted to play with me we had to play with a toy b/c I didn't like playing bite me. So...now whenever he is excited he just picks up anything and runs around with it and wants to play. The other day I thought it was funny b/c he picked up my little doormat rug thing and he was dragging it around, then all the sudden he started shaking it and dirt just went flying. He looked a little confused. Props to my housecleaning!

Also, every time I come home for work, or am just outside for that matter, he comes and jumps on the fence. It is so cute. He's been doing it forever. I have pictures of him when he was a puppy sitting under my "Beware of Dogs" sign on the fence and he was soooo tiny. Now practically half of him his hanging over the fence!

One other thing I think is funny, when he wants to come in, he goes to the door and sniffs. I mean like a major inhale. If you have ever heard a St. bernard do that it is quite a sound. Like he's suc king all the air out of the house. lol.

Maggie doesn't have too many quirks/routines yet. she does the tearing around the house thing. And the taking a bite from Indy's bowl thing. One thing I think is funny is that she is now finally brave enough to walk up the stairs but once she gets up there she gets soooo scared. she starts crying and pacing. It is pathetic. But eventually she will make it down. She's done it a few times now but she still gets scared coming down. I wonder if something isn't off with her eyesight but then again, she is a scaredy-dog.

18. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

LOL, Eliza. You forgot to mention the quirky burying the water bowl thing. :D

And yes, tuttifrutti, Nala has broken the window twice. Little stinker. I'm just glad she hasn't cut herself!

We see this a lot of this here:

[​IMG]