1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Just noticed our 9 year old cat is missing several teeth

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by mosmith58, May 28, 2004.

1. mosmith58

mosmith58 New Member

Our Himalayan cat is like our child and we feel terrible that we did not notice that she is missing teeth. Even though she is 9 years old she is still very frisky. She stays indoors and is very spoiled. Is losing teeth at this age normal???

2. PilotKitten

PilotKitten New Member

My grandparent's Persian is about that age and he's been missing some front teeth for quite some time. They have to feed him special food but other than that he's quite normal and healthy.

I'd still take him to the vet to make sure it's old age causing them to fall out and not some horrible painful gum disease or anything.

3. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

where's Chess when you need him

4. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi Mosmith58. (LOL Mary). If I had to take a wild guess, I would say your kitty most likely has lost a few teeth due to periodontal problems. What happens is, unless our kitties get their teeth cleaned professionally once at year starting at about 2-3 years of age and have their teeth brushed at home, at least 2 times a week, they can develop pretty serious periodontal disease and other mouth related problems (i.e., cavities/tooth decay, gingivitis). Cats with periodontal disease may have loose teeth, which eventually end up just falling out. This is because the teeth are held together by the periodontal membrane and the underlying bone. When an infection is present it starts to destroy not only the periodontal membrane, but the bone as well. Meaning the teeth are no longer properly anchored and will become loose and fall out. A good indication of this is red swollen gums and halitosis (bad breath).

Another possible cause of missing teeth is that your kitty may have fractured the teeth right at the gum line and perhaps tissue has grown over the area, even though a portion of the tooth may still be there. Fractures of the teeth may be caused by tooth decay(i.e. tooth is so decayed a portion of it just breaks off ). Another possible reason is the tooth simply broke/fractured while eating or chewing on something hard.

Given your cat's age and the fact that she seems to be very loved, I think a trip to the vet would be a good idea. He/she will be able to properly examine the condition of her mouth. I think at her age that would be a very good idea. Keep us posted.

5. halaroo

halaroo New Member

I've heard from the Humane Society here that dental problems are very common in Himalayans and Persians. I wonder why?

6. dolly

dolly New Member

:?: I'm confused...someone in an earlier post referred to Chessmind as a kitty mommy!

7. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

plus the other thing about periodontal disease or an infected tooth is that it can ultimately kill them if the infection gets into their bodies. at least that is what my vet has told me in the past. i think its like people, some cats have alot of dental issues some dont. like otis only had his teeth cleaned one time in his life and he lived to almost twenty. he had very little plaque just naturally. but i dont think i will take that chance with max.

8. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Don't be confused, Dolly. Lol. I'm a male.

Genetics plays a huge role in it.

9. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I have a cat that had a heart murmur and she had to have dental every year (also kidney problems)...she had to take antibiotics before having her teeth cleaned so any infection wouldn't affect her heart. People are like that too...

10. dolly

dolly New Member

My Spooky lost several front teeth before we lost him to FIV at age 10, I imagine the illness had something to do with that.

(Chessmind, thanks for clearing that up! :D )