1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Just wondering what you all thought

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by BulldogMomma, May 4, 2004.

1. BulldogMomma

BulldogMomma New Member

Hi everyone,
    This might be silly, but I always wondered if a mom can remember who her puppies are. I mean, like a year later? Do you think she can tell by smell? Do they forget once the pups are gone? Probably hard for us humans to tell, but maybe someone has an insight or opinion on this.
    Silly question, yes, but humor me. :lol: Thanks

2. Jules

Jules New Member

I've often wondered this also, but I assumed they probably wouldn't, but hopefully somebody knows.
    My partner was talking about taking our dog to the beach and for a visit from where she came from to see her parents! I thought this was quite cute, but I realise now I didn't ask him whether he assumed the parents would know that she was their pup, or whether he just wanted to show her to the breeders.

3. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

I don't know. I do know that males can tell if a litter of puppies are theirs or not. Males will kill other males litters of puppies to bring the bitch back into heat and impregnate her with his offspring.

4. Kathy74

Kathy74 New Member

I've often wondered this too. My husband doesn't think they do, but I'm not sure. A friend of ours has Jersey's brother, Miller, and last summer our friend watched the girls for an overnight. When Miller arrived, Jersey could NOT get enough of sniffing him! Serene kept wondering over to see what was so exciting about him, but he and Jersey just kept sniffing and kissing each other all day. They had been apart for about 6 mths at this time.

5. GinaH

GinaH New Member

I don't know about dogs but I know one of my barn cats had kittens and my Mom took two of them and not to long ago I babysat her animals for her while she was on vacation and I took her cats out to see their Momma and she did not seem to know they were her babies she hissed and smacked at them.

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I don't have any experience with this, but my sister thinks they do not recognize their babies. Either that, or they recognize them but they don't care! I guess we'll never know for sure.

Jamiya

7. moose

moose New Member

i believe their brains are programmed NOT to remember offspring; otherwise it would be really difficult in the wild for any animal to do their daily routine without looking constantly for their babies or just being heartbroken because they can't find them.

8. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I'm pretty sure littermates don't remember each other so I wouldn't think mom would....remember animals reproduce cause it's just the way it is - they don't reproduce out of wanting to.

A friend of mine got Sadie's brother a week before I got Sadie. Within a couple of days I took Sadie to her house for a reunion - let's just say it didn't go as well as anticipated. Sadie took one look at her littermate brother and even as a 3 month old pup she laid into him without hesitation. Either she didn't know him or she owed him one :shock:

9. Nik

Nik New Member

I think Moose is right. It's like they do their duty and then say goodbye.

10. JKKsEuro Dobermans

JKKsEuro Dobermans New Member

8) I have to say Yes mom does at least in Dobermans. I take Ginger to visit her mom once a year and she always remebers her. plus Ginger's pups come visit every 3- 4 months and she DEFINATLy remebers them. Anugus does too .He is very strange dog aggressive but he does get all happy when KoJack comes to visit the old man:) his own pups he is really really good with