1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Keet's Behavior

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Patrick'sKeets, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Patrick'sKeets

Patrick'sKeets New Member

:? I've only had these keets a couple weeks, but they seem strange. Is bobbing the head normal. The white/blue keet usually gets very active (in the cage), jumping from one perch to the other, making a lot of noise, ect. Along with this comes bobbing his head and neck, as if he's saying yes. It looks cery odd and I'm worried he's got a sinus problem. Today I noticed (at least I've never seen) the green/yellow keet doing the same thing.
    What other strange things have you noticed your birds do?

Incidentally, I got these birds free from the paper. I estimate them at about a year old. I think one is male (blue bird starting to turn blue @ ceres) and other is female. There names are Nickel and Dime :)
    Thanks

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi bobbing of the head is part of mating dance they do this to get the attention of the female they will also do this when regurgitating food for either the female of the chicks.

When the femals cere turns a very tark brown she will be in breeding mode and will usually allow mating some females wont but most will.
    At a year old or just over they are still young to be raising babies but both are still fertile birds.

If you plan on breeding the birds its best to wait till they are 2years of age.
    Get involved with other bird breeders in your area if this is possible to learn as much as you can about the birds from feeding to breeding.

But the bobbing is not an indication to illness.

Mike

3. Patrick'sKeets

Patrick'sKeets New Member

Thank you sooo much for the information. I will look in to local breaders ASAP. In the mean time, how, other than seperating them, do I discourage breeding? Or should I look in to birdy condoms 8) ?

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi if you dont want to seperate them then the best thing to do which usually works is keep changing the position of there toys remove anything that they could use for a nest like houses dishes that are on the cage floor.

Reducing the amount of light they get a day and even moving the cage either into a different room or different part of the room they are in.
    This will make the hen think its winter and should not allow mating

mike

5. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Yes, he bobbing is normal! However, I heard it was for something else other than mating!