1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

KH level and discus/molly compatability

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by sleeper, Mar 29, 2005.

1. sleeper

sleeper New Member

Hi all... related to the discus question from before:

Does the "KH" value represent the softness/hardness of an aquarium? If so, does this mean that mollies (10-25) and discuses (1-4) are completely incompatible?

I currently own a beautiful dalmatian molly and her two fry (currently fantastic juveniles) as well as a few other fish that I'd like to move into a 60 gall. -- which I would ultimately stock with mollies, ADFs and, I HOPE, one or two discuses (disci?)

I've heard of all kinds of wacky tricks folks use to put noncompatible fish together. Surely there must be something I could do to have them in a tank together??

2. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

I realy dont know. Ill do some research.

3. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

I dont think you could put them together because they need different water hardness.

Heres what I found so far.

KH is the carbonate hardness.

Its not much so Ill start asking peopl.

4. sleeper

sleeper New Member

Thanks, I'll do a little research too. Usually t_Chelle just knows the answer!! ;]

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

LOL. Yes, KH is a measure of hardness. And no, I wouldn't put mollies and discus together. Mollies actually prefer fairly hard and even slightly brackish water and discus need extremely soft water.

-Chelle

6. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi sleeper, Although Mollies are very hardy and can tolerate a very wide range of water conditions, they would not be real healthy in a tank set up for Discus and would tend to develop fungus problems.

7. sleeper

sleeper New Member

So... what large community fish are even out there? The discus would have been perfect for the tank I'm running now... every other large, colorful fish is just too agressive.

Any ideas for a solid discus replacement at more moderate hardness?