1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Kitten thrown from car...

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by wtpooh, Jul 21, 2004.

1. wtpooh

wtpooh New Member

This is how I just got a new kitten...

I was at work and caught 3 teenage boys shoplifting. I called one of the mother's who was already on her way to the store to pick them up. When she got there she had a kitten in her purse and she told me that when she was driving to my store she saw some people throw this kitten out of a car and take off. The woman, thank goodness, stopped and picked her up. The kitten looked a bit dazzed but otherwise looked healthy and I saw no injuries. The woman said she already had cats and couldn't take in another one and jokingly asked if I wanted her. I just couldn't say no....I immediately called my vet to see if he could look at her ASAP. He stayed late at the office and waited for me. After he looked at her he said she looks about 8 weeks old, and saw no injuries or any other problems.

As soon as I got her home I fed her and settled her into a room with a litter box, food, water, and plenty of toys. Within a few minutes of being here she started playing with one of the toys. She is affectionate and isn't afraid of me at all. Now I have to keep her confined from the other 4 cats until she can get all her shots and tests. It's so hard not to have her come out and play.

Ohhhhh...I just checked in on her.....sound asleep......too cute I can't stand it.

I'm still a bit dazzed myself. Time to go back into kitten mode. Any tips or suggestion would be appreciated. My youngest cat is 1 yr, 4 months old and I feel like I need a refresher course.

Thanks for listening!
    Megan

2. bellack1

bellack1 New Member

Wow. You know fate brought the kitty to you! Look at the circumstances! Your vet is awesome.

Well having a 5 week old kitten (as of friday) He is still on the bottle and milk replacer. It sounds like your job will be easy. Since you fed him I'm guessing he's already weaned and litter trained. If he doesn't get the litter thing (oh and make sure its clay litter and non clumping) just put him in it and he'll play in it but eventually he'll get it. My kitty just got it a couple days ago.
    Look at my forum. There's a lot of good recs for food and litter. Give him a little bed with towels. I'm using Fresh step clay litter, and when he's weaned Friskies kitten canned food and Royal Canin Baby kitten food-its hard. I'm also trying to get him to eat Gerbers 2nd step chicken and gravey.

Necessites:

These can be bought at a grocery store for under $20

Mineral oil-for constipation (if it happens let me know, its common)

Karo corn syrup- low blood sugar. This worked wonders on Bobo.

Pedialyte- for dehydration and if he gets diarriah(sp?)

Eye dropper to give these

If I think of anything else I'll let you know. I have so much stuff I kno there's more

3. Jody

Jody New Member

Awww to cute, y ou'll have to show us some pics!

4. nern

nern New Member

Congrats on your new kitten!

Its bad enough that people dump them like garbage but do they really have to throw them out of cars in the process?!?

5. vene

vene New Member

Congrats on your new addition and I like your avatar. Just out of curiosity, I used to live in West Haven and worked in Middlesex Hosp and the Shoreline Clinic. Where are you located and where were you when the boys were caught?

6. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

Congrats on your new addition! I would love to see pics when you get the time! That was one lucky kitten to find someone to take good care of them. It's too bad that it started out a little rocky. But, I don't think the kitten has anything to worry about now!

7. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

oh, poor kitty, you might wanna check, over time that the cat isnt mentally scared, as he/she may have a fear of being picked up in the future or being in moving vehicles etc. Our cat is like that as she was dropped we think as a kitten and now she is scared of being picked up, but she is learning.

8. wtpooh

wtpooh New Member

Thank you for all the replies. The kitten, whom I named Sammy, is doing very well. Soon after I fed her last night I placed her into the litter box. She went right away! Poop and Pee :) She's playful and not afraid. I hope that the awful way she was discarded has no long term effect on her.

I'll keep you all updated on her progress!

Vene- I live in Milford and work at the Trumbull Shopping Park. I recently had to bring one of my cats, Milo, to Shoreline to be put down. What wonderful caring people. So kind and understanding from when I had to call them at midnight until the time I left.

9. vene

vene New Member

Sammy is such a cute name! Looks like she's found a wonderful home. Since she's so young, she'll probably have no long term ill effect from being thrown from a car and discarded.
    We used to frequent the Toys R Us at Milford. I actually miss that store. I wonder if they fixed the roads around it. It was pretty worn down back in '98.

10. PilotKitten

PilotKitten New Member

Aww what a sad story for a kitty!! It's good that you and that mother came along!!

Once when I was driving on the highway with my BF there was a dog in the back of a truck that jumped out. Luckily (or should I say unluckily) he had a collar on but that only caused him to be dragged behind one of the back wheels. My BF honked the horn a couple of times and almost immediately the driver pulled over and him and the passenger jumped out to see if he was okay. At least they were concerned, and he wasn't dragged for that long which is good. I think the entire episode lasted about 12 seconds but I was pretty shaken up about it, and it wasn't even my dog! :?

11. wtpooh

wtpooh New Member

I posted the following as a separate post but I wanted to add it to this one as well.....

I just got back from the vet. I wanted to drop off a stool sample and have her tested for HIV but they said she is too young and I have to wait 2 weeks. I also have to keep her quarantined until then because I have 4 other cats.

The vets office was so busy that I didn't get a chance to ask all the questions I wanted to so I hope someone here can help.

The reason for the quarantine is in case she has HIV.

-Is there any other reason to keep her quarantined?
    -What are the chances she does have HIV, and how would she have contacted it to begin with?
    -How is it passed from one cat to another?
    -There is about an inch space between the floor and door of the room she is in. Do I need to completely close off this room, including this space?
    -Can I let her out in the rest of the house when the other cats aren't around?

If anyone can help me with any of these questions I would appreciate it.

Thank You!
    Megan

12. wtpooh

wtpooh New Member

Day 3 and all is well. Funny how Bellack talked about FATE.....listen to this one....

My sister got a kitten for her 10yr old daughter and 13 yr old son a few weeks ago. This kitten ended up having multiple health problems including Feline Leukemia. The place she got the kitten from lied and said he tested negative for this. The vet also said this kitten had the worst case of worms he's ever seen in a kitten. There were other health problems as well and sadly the kitten had to be put down. This was the same day Sammy found me. This must be fate. I am praying all of Sammy's tests come back negative and I can give her to my sister and her family. She is such a wonderful kitten and doing unbelievably well.

I heard her purr for the first time last night.....what a beautiful sound. This morning when I went into her room she immediatly meowed at me and jumped onto my shoulder. As soon as I started petting her I could feel the purring vibrating from her entire body. She is happy...and I am happy. It will be hard to give her up, I am sure, but knowing she will be in a loving home where I can visit makes it so much easier.

13. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I believe in fate....before giving the kitten to your sister check with your vet to see if there is a time frame before waiting since the previous kitten had feline leuk.

14. wtpooh

wtpooh New Member

Very good advice Mary...Thank you!

15. nern

nern New Member

Thats so sad about your sisters kitten. Definately seems like fate that you found this little kitten. Let us know how it goes.

16. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

wtpooh...as i was reading your story and got to the part about your sisters kitten and that you were going to give your kitten to her family...i got all choked up....almost made me cry. i think that is such a sweet thing to do. i hope the kitty tests out okay.

17. MylittleAnnie

MylittleAnnie New Member

Hi wtpooh,

I was reading your story and that is just tooo touching.
    ALso i dont know if anyone answered your questions about the FIV/HIV yet but my cat Annie tested positive for FIV and so i have been reading up a bit and hope i can help you with at least a few answers :

--- Not sure as to the chances of her having it but FIV is contracted and passed from cat to cat either through bites from another infected cat or if her mother was FIV positive she might have passed it along to her.

If you are just concerned about this in case Sammy is FIV positive then you don't have to close the room of completely as it's not a airborne virus

Again if you're just concerned about the FIV you can most certainly let her out in the rest of the house while your other cats are concerned she could only infect them by biting or mating with them ( which is no issue cause of her age... i think.lol) ;)

i am not sure if there might be other reasons for her to be quarantined but i hope the few answers i could give you helped out a bit and i hope that Sammy will be fine :) She certainly has found a wonderfull new home :D

Brigitte

18. deb2950

deb2950 New Member

sammy

:eek: I am so happy sammy found you!

19. wtpooh

wtpooh New Member

I just called the vet. NEGATIVE for worms!!! Yipeee!! Next week I will bring her in for the other tests and let you know the results.

Briggitte-Thank you for all the info!!

20. MylittleAnnie

MylittleAnnie New Member

Ohhhhh i am so glad Sammy doesn't have any worms :) Yaayyyyy :) I am so glad he found a great New Mommy like you :D

You're most welcome :) i am glad that i could help a little
    Brigitte