1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Kittens!

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by G_CheR, May 2, 2004.

1. G_CheR

G_CheR New Member

:D Hi!
    Four weeks ago from Thursday(today is Saturday) My cat had kittens. She is an outside cat. My grandma died, long story--But my mom and I believe my grandmother came back as a cat. My mom won't let her in the house, but she's outside. She's about 2 1/2 years old, and she had kittens a day after my birthday, April 7th... (So, she had them on april 8th) I don't know how many she had, but i know where she is hiding them; under the shed in my neighbor's yard. My neighbor said they should come out after about 4 weeks. So... ITS BEEN 4 WEEKS AND 2 DAYS! LoL. I'm getting soooo impatient... I wanna see them! Do you think they are going to come out? I'm thinking maybe they will come out tomorrow.. ?
    Last Saturday, I saw her trying to get the kittens out, but after a few minutes she gave up. I know I'm keeping one kitten, (#1 i don't want the mom to be lonely ;), and number two I WANT ONE TOO! LoL I think she had more than one, and noone i knew could have one..So i think I'm going to give him/her to the petshop around the corner from my house. I have another question (long post, I know, SORRY!) After how many weeks do you let the kittens go (not including the weeks they are hiding) I've heard 6, and 8 weeks; But in a kitten book it says 10 weeks or right after they are done drinking their mother's milk. I was going with that one...So.. THANKS ALOT! Im just soo anxious to see them, :lol: THEY ARE GONNA B SO CUTE! :roll: Sorry, i forgot to mention, I call my cat "grandma" or "g". BYE! :y_the_best:

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

okay I'm gonna play nice....what are you and your mother thinking? Letting this cat and her babies remain outside? You don't even know if they all survived? Are they ill? Have they been exposed to various feline diseases? They might all be extremely ill and dying.

I'm banging my head against the wall here - you sound young.

But if you aren't going to get your cats spayed the least you can do is keep them inside so they don't end up pregnant adding more unwanted cats to the overpopulation problem now...it's called being a responsible pet owner.

No your cat is not your grandmother - and good thing to since I hope you treated your grandmother better than you are treating your cats and kittens.

Okay I'm angry - but the first foster family of kittens I had last year were left outside too....finally a police officer felt sorry for them and took them to the shelter, with their mom, and they ended up living at my house till they were old enough to go to homes (8 weeks BTW).

And to a pet shop? Do they do reference checks on adopters...oh just sell them to the first person with money? Do they run medical tests on them before they sell them to be sure none have distemper? FIV? FIP? Will they even spend any money on them for their first shots?

These poor poor kittens and their mom cat. I hope you've had great weather and not cold rainy nights.

3. G_CheR

G_CheR New Member

OK, well #1 you didn't have to get mad. #2 , it is my grandmother, and your not the one to judge that(no offense). #3 My cat had all her shots, and i'd love to find out when her kittens are coming out. So far I worked up $325 to pay for shots nd whatever they need.I'm not irresponsible. And I'm not thinking of the bad, its better to think positive. She was trying to get them out from hiding, thats a good sign. I'm planningto get my cat spayed next month, and I'm still working up money for the kittens. The pet shop does tests and everything, and I've known everyone there for years. I bought 2 puppies from there, one lived till 10, the other 11. And it doesn't matter because my mom found a home for another kitten. Also, they live under a shed, too small for raccoons and possums to get under, but perfect for them. The rain doesn't get them or anything.
    I don't mean to get mean back, but, I'm thinking of the positive.

4. nern

nern New Member

I would be concerned that if they were born 4 wks ago and have'nt yet had any human contact that they may be feral. They are probably big enough or almost big enough now to crawl out on their own. I would'nt take them away from their mother until they are at least 8wks of age but they will need human contact as soon as possible.
    As far as getting the mother cat fixed and the kitten you will be keeping once its old enough there is a sticky topic at the top of the page with lists of low cost or free spay/neuter clinics in various States in the US. You may find this helpful if money is an issue. Some vaccinations are included with some of these clinics. Best of luck.

5. G_CheR

G_CheR New Member

Thankyou, I am praying they come out today! I don't think they are, but i don't know. My cat was about 1 year old when i found her all alone crying, she came right to me. I dunno. Thanks for the info.
    Do you mean 8 weeks including when the were hiding, or 8 weeks after they have come out? Thanks much!

6. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I'm pretty sure nern means 8 weeks after they were born.

I would also be concerned with them being feral. Since you say you found your cat, she could have had some human interaction, or had a family she lived with, before you found her, but since the kittens are living under the shed they probably haven't had any human interaction yet.

A stray cat that lived in my friend's neighbor's back yard had 5 kittens (totally feral) and it took them forever to catch all of them, about 3 weeks and 5 million scratches later they finally got them to the shelter. So have fun catching them and trying to get them to the vet if they are feral.

If your mom doesn't want the cat in the house, is she going to let the kitten live inside or does it have to stay out too? Outside really isn't the best evnironment for a kitten to grow up in and I'm pretty sure you're cat's not lonely. Since she was pregnant she probably has a nice male friend!