1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Kitty has a bad hairball ?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Mr.Roo, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Mr.Roo

Mr.Roo New Member

Hi everyone, my cat has always coughed like he had a hairball and gulp it back down maybe about once every 2 weeks..or so...recently he has been coughing everyday alot ! does he have a hair ball stuck in him? thinking of bringing him to the vet to get it out..he is drinking and eating and acting the same..just coughing. thanks everyone!

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

have you tried any of the hairball remedies?
    Also you can add a teeny amount of light extra virgin olive oil to his food once a day...that helps long term

3. Mr.Roo

Mr.Roo New Member

okk im thinking of bringing him to the vet for a hairball treatmeant. lol, i saw they had like pills or some kind of medicine there to dissolve hair balls !

4. CrabSalad

CrabSalad New Member

If he is coughing but never producing a hairball I might be worried about something like feline asthma. I have a cat with asthma and a collapsing trachea and she coughs multiple times daily, it started out only happening once in a while but at this point it is very frequent and she is on medication and we are considering starting her on an inhaler.
    I would definitely get a docs opinion though!

This is a good site about asthma if you are interested.
    felineasthma . org

5. Mr.Roo

Mr.Roo New Member

aw man thats sounds like my cat..hmmm is it a life threat to the cat??? and i will! how do they get this??

6. CrabSalad

CrabSalad New Member

Asthma can become life threatening if the cat continues to get worse and doesn't get treatment. A serious asthma attack when no one is home can be dangerous if someone isn't there to get her to the vet.
    Asthma in cats can be caused by lungworms or they can just have it like some people do.
    I would definitely get her checked out by a doctor before getting too worried about one thing or another though.

7. Mr.Roo

Mr.Roo New Member

wow, see i dont think its that b/c when he coughs he can hear him swallow the hairball? back down his throat and sometimes its almost about to come out and he gulps it back down..