1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Laikas Full Grown weight?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by lanena322, Apr 15, 2004.

1. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

Hello everyone, I know there was a post about this same subject, and I have kept up wuth it. It got me to wondering, 'how much will laika weigh?'

Well she is now 8weeks and 4 days, and I hadnt got her weighed in, so I was estimating around 15-20 pounds, and 8 pounds for Nana. Well today I went down to the pet shop and got them weighed. Nana is weighing 9 1/4 pounds at 4 1/2 months, and Laika is weighing in at a whopping 21 pounds.

Anyone want to take a stab at what their adult weights? im not too worried about Nana, I know she will stay light weight and be small-medium, she is a slim girl. Im more curious about Laika, since ive never had a large breed pup before :)

2. nern

nern New Member

For Nana my guess is around 20 lbs. and for Laika maybe around 75 lbs.

3. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

hmm, i was guessing about the same for Laika, maybe 75-80 pounds.

wow everyone, today I saw 1 of Laika brothers and one of her sisters. it is sad how small they are. the female was the runt of the litter and she is still absolutely tiny, Laika has to be almost twice their size and weighs almost 3 times as much as the little female. Their owner asked me how my pup was so big and heavy and I told him i am feeding her just puppy food nothing special. well the moron is feeding them adult food! i also think they are smaller because they have 3 other dogs and they dont feed them seperately so they have no idea how much food the pups are getting.

Okay, well back on topic. anyone else have any guesses on my pups weight?

4. nern

nern New Member

In large breed dogs, growing too fast could cause bone and joint problems. I think this is one reason that some feed adult food rather than puppy food to their large breed puppies.

5. moose

moose New Member

in addition to what nern said, it really is ok to feed a puppy any food that says it has been "approved for all life stages." the feeding recommendations for the age of the dog are just different.

6. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

the thing i am worried about is that they are feeding alpo which is very hard stuff, plus they have a huge golden retriever male, a rottie/pit mix female and a growing mutt puppy who is always starving. I think they may not be gaining the appropriate weight because they are not getting enough food.

I think Laika is kind of big for her age, if i see any signs of her growing too fast i will switch over to large breed puppy. but i am telling you these puppys are weighing the same or less than Nana, and like I posted on the first post Nana weighs 9 1/4 pounds. This is my first golden but i think there is something slightly odd about litter mates being so far apart in weight.

I dont know, just found it kind of odd. But those pups are adorable, they are real happy, and real social. Today Laika met her dad for the first time and she kinda looked at him, but didnt growl at him like she did another pup that was there. That really surprised me, I think we are going to have to increase her play dates and start her puppy classes, she already has her vaccinations, so shes good to go

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

They say it is good to have puppies be on the lean side and always just a little hungry. As Nern said, growing too fast can cause all sorts of problems - and if you are feeding Puppy Chow still then you are probably growing her too fast!

A lot of large breed owners and breeders recommend switching to adult food at 4 months at the latest. Some do it earlier.

Please look into food options again - there must be a better food that won't break your bank!

Jamiya

8. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

Lol, Laika is always hungry, she loves to eat but we are very strict with her food, she is getting 3 meals a day, no free feeding, I wouldnt want her to blow up on us :lol: I believe shed eat all day if we let her. Nana used to free feed until Laika came since she is such a picky eater.

Hmm, I dont see why everyone is saying these pups are okay, I honestly dont see it that way. ok, so maybe laika is on the big side but these puppies are tiny, they have barely grown since i last saw them and if they have gained 2 or 3 pounds its a miracle. I just thought there was something wrong with the guy feeding his pups with the big dogs, since they are obviously not getting enough food.

To everyone: I shop at Walmart, around where I live there is absolutely no pet shops that stock up on foods I have heard mentioned on here such as Diamond? or Nutro Max? I have a friend who owns a pet shop and he has pro plan, and science diet, iams and eukanuba i think. theres another pet shop thats pretty far away that stocks the same food.

Well as for walmart, any good brands there? I was thinking about iams, i gotta check out the price on that one, i used to feed iams but that was a long time ago. Um, walmart has iams, pedigree, ol' roy (which i personally believe is the biggest garbage), puppy chow, dog chow, and some other stuff i cant quite remember. Oh and Alpo. Theres a soft food that has a little white Westie on there but I dont want to feed wet food, it akes for stinky poop :?

I think I am aiming towards iams, i dont know, just want to get an opinion, i have to start quick because the sack of food is finishing, they got food for at least 2 more weeks

9. nern

nern New Member

I just thought there might have been a good reason behind them feeding the adult food (I did'nt know the entire situation when I made that statement).....you are probably right, Alpo adult dog food is likely not the best choice for any growing puppy. If not for the reason I mentioned in my previous post I do wonder why they chose to feed adult food to their pups? Maybe its just cheaper for them or they thought it would be easier to feed all of their dogs the same food.

There is a brand at Walmart called Maxximum Nutrition which seems to be pretty decent.

10. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

Maybe thats the Nutro Max I heard about? or is that a different brand all together?

I spoke to the pups owner this afternoon and we got on the subject of how small the pups were, he said they were being free fed and had food constantly available to them, maybe the food is too hard? i know if i give laika her food dry she wont eat it all, but if i give it to her moist she will gobble it up.

But good news is that they were thinking about switching brands (yay!) because his wife says the puppies arent growing much, and she really noticed the difference when i brought laika over. she said maybe puppy food for a few months, or something good so they would grow a bit. I dont know though, the pups seem sooo happy, they were running and jumping and their tails were going at 90mph they were so excited to see us. Could it be something internal?

11. nern

nern New Member

No, this is a different brand.

12. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

If the one pup is a runt, then she will be a lot smaller.

Looking at my sister's Golden, at 8 weeks she was 10.5 pounds. It looks like she was gaining about 3 pounds per week for the next month after that.

21 pounds at 8 weeks seems awfully big for a Golden, but I have never owned a large breed before so maybe I am wrong. From that weight, I bet she will be a good 80-90 pounds full grown. Anyone with a large breed dog want to chime in here?

Just remember, bigger is not necessarily better. If the other pups are free fed, they are probably getting adequate nutrition. If they were fed a better food, they would more than likely eat less of it because it has less filler crap in it.

Nala is always hungry as well. Although, when she was on kibble she didn't always eat it right away. She's much more excited about her raw food. She was showing some signs of becoming picky but getting Bonnie fixed that. Now she eats everything I give her and hopes Bonnie will leave some so she can snap it up when no one's looking!

Jamiya

13. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member