1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Large tank

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by SpitItOut, Oct 7, 2005.

1. SpitItOut

SpitItOut New Member

How can I cycle a large tank... i think its a 77g?

2. Fishfirst

Fishfirst New Member

there are several ways to cycle a large tank, but the best way is to do it over 4 weeks via a fishless cycle (thats right, no fish at all). Use pure ammonia from your grocery store and add it daily or get two raw shrimp from the grocery store and throw them in there and let it rot.
    The only other moderately safe way is to aquire some bio-spira or stability and to add it while you add a few fish.

3. lil shant

lil shant New Member

the way i cycled my tank was by adding goldfish for 6 weeks about 2 of them in tank and then i too kthem out i did 20 percent watrer change and i added aquaerium salt and aqua safe and i have fish for twoo yrs most of them alive

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

5. OnixRevolution

OnixRevolution New Member

^ Im doing that method with my 60g. Gallon of Ammonia was .89 cents plus the testers for water...or going out and spending money on fish.

6. lil shant

lil shant New Member

well u cna buy around 4 10 cent goldfish and cucle it then return them or give them away

7. OnixRevolution

OnixRevolution New Member

You're not going to be able to cycle a 77 gallon tank with 4 feeder goldfish.

8. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Why not??? I've cycled a 300 gallon Marine tank with 4 Black Mollies.

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

The biggest problem with cycling a tank with just a few tiny fish is that once it's done, that's all the bioload it can support. You won't be able to fully stock it immediately so cycling it didn't really do a whole lot to get you ahead. You still have to be very careful adding fish and if you add too many, you'll probably go through another cycle. But with the fishless method, you're adding 5ppm ammonia every day so that's what the bacteria will be able to handle. A fully stocked tank, most likely isn't going to produce more than 5ppm a day so you can immediately stock the tank will all the fish you want to put in there.

That said (and as much as I hate cycling with fish), I think SpitItOut plans on putting an oscar in his/her tank. So assuming it was a baby oscar, then 4 or 5 1 - 2" fish probably would be and equivalent bioload to a baby oscar (no more than 3").

-Chelle

10. SpitItOut

SpitItOut New Member

i was at the petstore buyin feeder goldfish but the guy wouldnt let me buy them he said u arent supposed to use fish just set it up hav the filter running and add what u want:S