1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Learn to give not just to take.

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by :o)rosie:o), Jan 12, 2005.

1. :o)rosie:o)

:o)rosie:o) New Member

I've been wanting to teach Rosie to give for those times when she runs off with our socks etc. If any of your baby's have learnt to give how did you teach them?
    Thanx

2. ShowandAgilityPaps

ShowandAgilityPaps New Member

There are two different ways.

One is to offer her a tasty treat. When she drops the object for the treat, say "release" and give her the treat while you take the object. Then, reward her with praise.

The second is if the dog refuses to give it up and especially if what they have a hold of is dangerous. What you do is use two fingers and press right where the two jaw bones meet. If you press in the jaws will open. I can do this to even the largest of breeds with two fingers, so it will work on a toy with no problem.

ANA

3. :o)rosie:o)

Thanx heaps :y_the_best:
    I'll get to work on it right away!

4. abbeys-mom

abbeys-mom New Member

When Abbey takes off with something she shouldn't, I simply tell her Abbey sit (in a firm voice), and then drop it. She drops it. We achieved this by encouraging her to get it, bring it, sit, and drop it, and then treat. Now drop it is a command in it's own.

5. :o)rosie:o)

ooo your luckey Abbeys mum. I wish Rosie would do that. But we're learning. :roll:

6. abbeys-mom

abbeys-mom New Member

Rosie is only 5 months old!
    She will pick it all up with consistant training and love.

:)

7. WinniPoo

WinniPoo New Member

The "drop it" is the one thing Winnie surprised me with. I would always tell her drop it and then take "it" out of her mouth but never made a big deal about it, then one day I said drop it and she did. I thought maybe that would last only one time but she does it everytime. Now I get excited when she does it that I think she waits for me to tell her.

8. :o)rosie:o)

How did you teach Winnie to drop, give etc? Yea she is still a baby :wink: