1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Let sleeping dogs... what?

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Seejay, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Seejay

Seejay New Member

A week ago we got a Shih Poo. She turned 13 weeks last Wednesday. At first Molly barked/whinned at night and I was getting up almost on the hour. Then we moved her in next to me and she is doing very well. It is just that I don't know if I should wake her up or let her sleep. Like last night I woke her up in 3 hours and then in 4 hours. I don't know how much longer she would go if I left her alone nor do I know if she would let me know if she had to go. I'm afraid that she will go and then I will have to clean her and everything else in the middle of the night. What do you suggest? If I wake her up will this cause a pattern? Or if I don't will it cause an accident? Or should I increase the time slowly as she grows?

Also two of the three accidents have been right after drinking water. I don't want to deprive her of water but I am only giving her some a few times a day and then we have to watch her like a hawk! She will just go right in the floor and very quickly!! So we have to take her out every little bit for up to an hour and a half to try and make sure that doesn't happen after she drinks. Is this common? Is there a solution?

She knows when we go outside that I want her to go. I say Potty and stand her up when she tries to lay down and soon she is sniffing and then goes and waits for the praise and treat. She's usually pretty fast if she has to go at all but she doesn't realize yet that the point is for her to go outside! I suppose this will come in time. I am home most of the time so we are crate training. Again this is my first dog inside the house...my first training experience so I am sure glad to find this forum!

Thanks again for the help!

2. gypsy

gypsy New Member

Housebreaking little dogs.....sounds like you are working the way we do with our poms :mrgreen: ANYWAY, for the first couple of months, yes they are in the bed with us, we use a plastic table clothe as a bedspread. Little feet going crinkle crinkle in the night will definitely wake you up! and it will save your bedding. Kinda like a plastic sheet in reverse. Usual schedule: out at 10pm, out at midnight, again at 3am, and i get up at 6am. By about 6 months, you will be down to just before bed, and as soon as you wake up. Be patient! We have found that little dogs just don't have the bladders that bigger ones do. By six months, they will get it and be leakproof. If you reconcile yourself to that, you will have a far more enjoyable puppyhood.
    Oh yeah, in theory witholding water and food will help.........we backed it up to five in the afternoon, didn't make much difference with our poms :D

3. gypsy

gypsy New Member

Housebreaking little dogs.....sounds like you are working the way we do with our poms :mrgreen: ANYWAY, for the first couple of months, yes they are in the bed with us, we use a plastic table clothe as a bedspread. Little feet going crinkle crinkle in the night will definitely wake you up! and it will save your bedding. Kinda like a plastic sheet in reverse. Usual schedule: out at 10pm, out at midnight, again at 3am, and i get up at 6am. By about 6 months, you will be down to just before bed, and as soon as you wake up. Be patient! We have found that little dogs just don't have the bladders that bigger ones do. By six months, they will get it and be leakproof. If you reconcile yourself to that, you will have a far more enjoyable puppyhood.
    Oh yeah, in theory witholding water and food will help.........we backed it up to five in the afternoon, didn't make much difference with our poms :D