1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Little twerp

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by KittyTales, May 15, 2006.

1. KittyTales

KittyTales New Member

My 1 1/2 year old cavalier king charles spaniel attacked a pitbull that lives across the street!That pit bull was so freaked out its not even funny!The pit bull ran into our back yard taday and my dog bit it by the tail and started chasing it until the other dog ran back into its own yard.My puppy attacks all dog bigger that he is its so wierd! Bim is very strong and he pulls me up the street and down on my bike without me haviing to pedal!But hes really friendly to people and his biggest fear is my kitten.Its funny to think of how a dog thats not afraid of pitbulls is afraid of a kitten?Bim is very friendly thou he comes up to random people expecting to be petted and complimented on how cute he is!Is anyone elses dog so strange as mine?Is this kind of behavior normal?

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

My Akita mix was mostly raised (socialized early on) around a couple of cats, she was people and dog aggressive but if one of the cats came to her food bowl she would back off and let them eat her food. If a dog tried this she would tear them apart.

3. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

lol, good on him! lil guard dog :lol:

but now, im going to spoil the mood here. while i think its cute and brave that your dog defended his property, which he has every right to do because the other dog should have not been there, i do not find anything cute about little dogs starting fights with big dogs in general. you really need to watch out for your dog if you go out in public if you know he is aggressive towards bigger dogs. all it takes is one bit from a big dog to kill your little dog. and who gets the blame? the big dog.

4. KittyTales

KittyTales New Member

well most dogs are afraid of him and hes afraid of my kitten and cat that like to corner him when theres no one aroung and they take turns beating him.He yelps like their about to kill them even thought I clipp their nails Bim knows it doesnt hurt but is very terrified of my 2 cats. :lol:

5. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Even if most dogs are afraid of him it only takes one dog to hurt him. What would happen if a dog that you though was afraid of him decided that he finally had enough and decided to stand his ground? It may be cute now but it's not something you should encourage your dog to do as it can be very dangerous if he decided to pick on the wrong dog.

6. KittyTales

KittyTales New Member

Im not encouraging him to do that I yell at him when he does he just wont stop this awful habit of his.

7. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Mmmm thats right, all it takes is one dog to get a hold of him and "Gone".. :(
    Maybe think about taking him to Obedience, or Puppy Kindy, something like that, teach him some manners.
    :?:

8. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Everyones right Kitty Tales, while it can be 'cute' or 'funny' to see a small dog run rings around a large dog (my 5# chi mix did it all the time to my 120# Rott, my Rott didnt mind though and when shed had enough she would lay down and place her paw on my chi so she couldnt get up, never put any pressure on her though....either that or she would come to me with that 'sorry' look in her eyes) the reality is though, well just the last 5 years I was in CA working at an emergency hospital.....I couldnt even tell you how many of these tough little dogs would be rushed in after being attacked....story was so familiar... "he always chases the bigger dogs away, none of them have ever gone for him before"....at some point they pick on the wrong dog and sometimes all it takes is for the other dog to pick them up and give them one quick shake....the injuries from that if its hard enough, brain damage (fractured skull when they land), puncture wounds going through the chest wall which can be fatal, puncture wounds going through the abdominal wall which can be fatal, broken back/neck from being shaken...among other things.

As far as my chi mix was concerned, she decided to pick on my Akita mix....the Akita had gone through extensive training predominantly socialization as she was aggressive to people and dogs, they were 'never' left alone together.....I say never in inverted commas as there were a couple of times, usually during some commotion at the house and either myself or my daughter not realizing they were shut in the same room but one day, right in front of me my chi jumped off the back of the couch and attacked the Akita...who was actually sleeping....my chi ended up in the hospital....altogether she was in the hospital 3 times over this behaviour...well twice through her attacking my Akita and once there was a sudden 'emergency/unexpected situation, I had accidentaly shut the two smaller dogs in the kitchen with the Akita....because of all the yelling going on outside all the dogs got fired up and my Akita just turned on the chi, she was ripped open all the way down both sides of her shoulder and her neck was sore for about a week because of the shaking, she was lucky that the Akita hadnt actually been down too hard otherwise she would have been killed.

As Cheeza said, best thing you could do for your dog and it may well save your dogs life one day, is to go to obedience training as this should give you better control, its important that your dog learns to come to you when called.....of course the other thing is dont ever let your dog off leash outside.

Im not having a go at you or anything, just letting you know that in 99.9% of cases....sooner or later small fiestly or dominant dogs will pick on the wrong dog if there is enough opportunity and when it does happen, size does matter.