1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Loki's Big Day. 90 lbs

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by ChronicBlue, Oct 9, 2004.

1. ChronicBlue

ChronicBlue New Member

Hi,
    I took Loki to the vet yesterday to be nutered, once there we weighed him and learned that hes 90lbs. He's only 6 1/2 month old right now. I was wondering what age is it that most dogs stop putting on weight, and how big do you think he will get? Hes a beautiful Nepolitan mastf / wolf x Sheperd. already hes around 30 inches tall. he just amazes me.

also is it normal to keep a lampshade(what ever its called) around his neck while he heals? thats what the vet told me, but everyone i know says not to worry and just keep an eye on him, so thats what ive been doing.

also how long does it normally take to heal after getting dewclaws and neutering done?

tks a much in advance.

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

WOW!!! 90# I dont know about the weight, but every mastiff I have seen has been overweight so do be careful. Jake our lab is a big boy, he was a big pup and kept putting on and puttin on weight. Is he on a large breed puppy formula?? I would check to see if he should even still be on puppy if he is.
    The lampshade is alwayws worn after surgery to keep them from licking and chewing we call ours a helmut, our poor jake has been wearing his for almost 2 eeks due to ahot spot.

If Loki is right next ot you I would keep it off, but as soon as he is out of your eye sight, he needs to wear it. you dont want him to lick an d chew and reopen causing infection or more stitches. and a lot of times when you think it looks pretty good you take it off but they wound heals toward the end it call really start to itch, so just keep an eye out and keep him clam for a few days

honeybear

3. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

They say that you can double a dog's weight at 4 months and get an approximation of the final weight. I would imagine with a large dog like yours, the final weight will be more than double. Large breeds can continue growing up to about 2 years old, I think. Can anyone with a large dog confirm this?

I know Nala, our medium-sized dog (about 50 pounds now), continued to grow after a year. It was so slow it wasn't noticeable, but she has gained at least 5 pounds and looks maybe an inch taller now at 17 months old.

Slower growth is definitely better, especially for the really big dogs. If your guy is still on puppy food, you should look into switching him to an adult food. Check with your vet (or a good breeder) to be sure.

4. Mix Breed lover

Mix Breed lover New Member

Parker is 100 lbs, 16 months old and still growing. Definatly check on the puppy food if he is on it. I had Parker on it until recently. Didn't know any better and now he has elbow displasia.

5. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

How big do the mastiffs usually get? I was thinking around 120. But the other two he is mixed with while they are still large arent that big. Looks like you are gonna have one huge dog. Sure it isnt mixed with a bear lol.

PS Have you posted any pics of him? I would love to see some, I am sure he is a beauty. I have always had a soft spot for large breeds.

6. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Sounds like a healthy boy!! I would say to expect him to get up to 130# maybe even a bit more but not much. At 6 1/2 months he is not done growning yet, but at about a yr. you should see pretty much the weight he will stay at.