1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

looking for a cockatiel

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by ilovemycockatiels, Apr 18, 2005.

1. ilovemycockatiels

ilovemycockatiels New Member

Hi I am trying to breed and I am looking for a male cockatiel that is already old enough to breed. I would like an experienced male that has been bred before. Preferably an albino but any will work. Trying to stay within $50-$70 price range. I live in Milton-Freewater, OR near Walla Walla, WA and don't want to travel too far to get one. Please let me know if you have any or know anyone that might. Thanks. :D

Ashley

2. ilovemycockatiel

ilovemycockatiel New Member

HI. I'm looking for a male cockatiel too. Have you had any expeirience with breeding? I 've been thinking about trying to breed mine. I only have 1 female. She is about a year old. Good luck! :D

3. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Before thinking about breeding always do as much research as possible.

Thinking that putting an experienced male in with a female that things will go according to plan think again.

Putting to experienced birds together and expecting the same think again.

Even themost experienced animal has been known to neglect or even kill there young if things are not the way they want them.

Also alot of research into handfeeding birds should be done as sometimes one of the parents dies or they abandon the chicks which means you having to handfeed the chicks around the clock.

Mike

4. ilovemycockatiels

hey ilovemycockatiel, you know its funny our screen names are the same besides one letter. I was looking at a post you wrote and I thought it was mine and I said to myself, that wasn't me, when did I write that? but then I seen that there is no s on yours lol :) yeah I've been trying to breed. I bought a female like 8 months ago and after like 4 months I put her in with my male and he won't mate with her. She laid 2 clutches of infertile eggs like 1-2 months ago. I have 3 cockatiels, my male is a lutino pied his name is Crackers, then my female is a pearl, her name is Naomi and then I have one I just bought like 4 days ago that is an albino but I am not 100% positive but I was told he is a male, he has no name yet. Have any name ideas male and female. I like Breeziy(y) if it is a female but no idea for a male name. So do you only have a cockatiel or do you have more animals? I have 5 birds total, a cat and like 5 fish. My other 2 birds are parakeets and their names are: female(green)- Pickles, male(blue)-Bubba.

5. ilovemycockatiels

hey charmedagain, I just wanted an experienced male because my male seems to like people more than anything and doesn't have any interest to breed. I just thought maybe a male that has bred before might be more interested but I got my albino and I am going to look for a mate for him. I am hoping to get one from the breeder that came over about a week ago and she has some white or yellow faced pearls I think she said that are babies right now and she said she'd call me when they are bigger and if I have the money I will probably get one. What is your e-mail address, I was going to send you pictures of my albino like you asked for but you never replied. I took 4 pictures of him last night.

6. ilovemycockatiels

hey ilovemycockatiel, How old are you? I'm 16 and I live in Oregon. Do you have an e-mail address, I can send you pictures of my birds and maybe you could send me pictures of yours. My e-mail address is lilprincess42898@aol.com e-mail me. By the way, My name is Ashley

7. mumofmany

mumofmany New Member

Please tell me if I'm wrong. I've been told and believe it myself, that cockatiels as well as most other birds mate for life.
    Wouldn't that mean that there wouldn't be any AVAILABLE experienced cocks, unless, maybe one whose mate has died and is pining for company?

Just my thoughts. :?

8. ilovemycockatiels

Well a breeder that I talked to said that rather than breeding like cats or dogs for example they sort of marry and that your not supposed to be able to just seperate them and breed them with another bird. They should stay with the same one for life unless maybe a mate dies, in that case I would think you could get another mate but not by just taking them away from eachother. I would wait for Mike's reply he knows everything but I thought I would give it a try to help you out.

9. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Once a bonded between a male and female bird it should never be broken as they do breed for life.

If a mate dies then you would need to get it another mate or spend as much time with the bird as possible, It has been know for some birds not to take to another mate and die from a broken heart.

If using a bird thats mate has dies is harder to adjust to a new mate as some will never take to the new bird.

One of my pairs has just raised its first clutch and they are first timers, A young male is always more eager to breed than an older one.

Best thing to do is place them in seperate cages side by side for a few weeks Then gradually introduce them to each other out of the cage eventually you can place them in a cage together and after a about 6months sometimes sooner they form a bond and will start to breed.

Hope this has helped my email address is boro_lad1976@hotmail.com

Mike

10. ilovemycockatiels

both of my birds were making small chirp noises to eachother this morning but they were covered so I am not sure if they were mating and when I took the cover off they weren't but I guess we'll see if my bird lays eggs. I will e-mail you the pictures of my albino they'll be from lilprincess42898@aol.com

11. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

When cockatiels are wanting to breed the male will strut back and forward along the perch and tapping on the perches and cage bars, He will also spread his wings at the shoulders which is you look they form the shape of a heart, he will also make a high pitched whistle.Here is a link to what the male tiel sounds like when calling to his mate during breeding season.

http://www.wingedwisdom.com/audio/maletiel.wav

The female will stick her bottom in the air and sway from side to side making a low pitched clucking noise.

Mike

12. ilovemycockatiels

ok I sent the pictures. I didn't see what either of them are doing bacause they were covered and when I uncovered them they were sitting there and it was a few mins later.

13. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi still haven't recieved the pictures, Could you send them to mickyuk26@aol.com

Mike

14. ilovemycockatiels

ok I sent them to the other e-mail address you gave me, hope you get them this time and I hope you like them, he's beautiful.

15. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Yes got them thank you he is a beautiful bird looks very happy sat there with you

16. ilovemycockatiels

I'm glad you liked the pictures. Do you have any name ideas for him/her? Give me some ideas for both just in case since we aren't positive whether its a girl or boy. I think it's a boy cuz he is very vocal and tries to whistle when I whistle at him He likes to come out and from what I've heard most females are opposite of that. My female never talks or whistles and she doesn't like to be held at all. The albino, I've had for maybe a week and he is already willing to come out on his own or on your finger. He was really wild when I got him, you would have to grab him around his back to get him out. So I am thinking it's male. I need name ideas for a male though because I only have 1 female name in mind and thats Breezy. I need more name ideas if you could give me some.

17. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Best way to come up with names is by watching how he acts.

Lets use a crazy bird that likes to be the centre of attention you could call him.

Bonkers
    Jester
    Cuckoo

So i suggest watch his behaviour and see what names pop into your head and the one thats sticks in your head the most is the name you will give him.

Mike

18. ilovemycockatiels

ok it's so much easier for me to think of a female name. My male I already have (Crackers) had his name when I got him. I can't think of any male names... maybe, Duke, I don't know I'll find one